Thread: M$ Firewall.....guess

skelley521's Avatar puter ghost
    I did a little homework last night.

Just as Executive Software (Diskeeper) made Microsoft's defragmenter, another company made their firewall. They too have Firewall software available on the market and I have been told that it is the most compatible with XP's firewall and between the two of them together can offer maximum protection (with a little configuration, of course).

Does anyone have an idea of who?

Taking guesses,
    Steve

2. Software & Hardware   -   #2
    don't bother with integrating anything into winxp's firewall. Its a pile of sh*t. Just turn it off and get one of the other recommended firewalls which will offer u all the protection u could ever need and much more configurability. eg Sygate pro (what i use and is highly recommended) Zone alarm pro (also highly recommended) or Norton (never used it so dunno)

3. Software & Hardware   -   #3
    @ ian_l_williams, Thanks for the advice, I have tried several and I choose not to even use one.
    I can play games with the best of them *wink
    Also, you didnt answer the question.

Edit: I also dont use diskeeper, I prefer PerfectDisk 6.0

4. Software & Hardware   -   #4
    Originally posted by skelley521@1 June 2003 - 15:50
    I did a little homework last night.

Just as Executive Software (Diskeeper) made Microsoft's defragmenter, another company made their firewall. They too have Firewall software available on the market and I have been told that it is the most compatible with XP's firewall and between the two of them together can offer maximum protection (with a little configuration, of course).

Does anyone have an idea of who?

Taking guesses,
    Steve
    At a guess I would say Black Ice...because it also is junk.

5. Software & Hardware   -   #5
    4play's Avatar knob jockey
    probably zone alarm.

or some kinda swiss cheese making firm.

6. Software & Hardware   -   #6
    drum roll...........

Tiny Personal Firewall

Edit: Tiny Software

7. Software & Hardware   -   #7
    shn's Avatar Ð3ƒμ|\|(7
    Some with no sense may disagree, but I really dont care. Software based firewalls suck. The best firewall you can ever have is a hardware based firewall or a damn good router. Believe me its very true and anyone with any knowledge of networking, internetworking and routers will tell you the same.

8. Software & Hardware   -   #8
    Originally posted by shn@2 June 2003 - 04:17
    Some with no sense may disagree, but I really dont care. Software based firewalls suck. The best firewall you can ever have is a hardware based firewall or a damn good router. Believe me its very true and anyone with any knowledge of networking, internetworking and routers will tell you the same.
    Well, of course, thats a no brainr'.