Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: security software...

fz_shurtugal's Avatar .......
    My Norton security software expired (which I never knew was limited).....Now I can't download any torrents or anything too risky for that matter which really SUCKS!......Does anyone know of any free antivirus software and spyware stuff that I can easily download and is reliable?..... please let me know -my life really depends on it.......

2. Software & Hardware   -   #2
    . BT Rep: +22BT Rep +22BT Rep +22BT Rep +22BT Rep +22
    AVG is free and dependable free.grisoft.com and Windows Firewall should be enough. You can additionally use Spybot http://www.safer-networking.org/en/index.html

3. Software & Hardware   -   #3
    Virtualbody1234's Avatar Forum Star BT Rep: +2
    I disagree about the Windows Firewall being enough. There's no outbound traffic control.

Here is a free version Zonealarm firewall (for personal home use):

http://download.zonelabs.com/bin/fre...337_000_en.exe

4. Software & Hardware   -   #4
    . BT Rep: +22BT Rep +22BT Rep +22BT Rep +22BT Rep +22
    Quote Originally Posted by Virtualbody1234 View Post
    I disagree about the Windows Firewall being enough. There's no outbound traffic control.

Yes, really depends on the OS, Vista's firewall has outbound control

5. Software & Hardware   -   #5
    Quote Originally Posted by fourier View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Virtualbody1234 View Post

Yes, really depends on the OS, Vista's firewall has outbound control
    Yes but I don't think this is Vista. In fact an expired Norton Internet Security confirms this.

Moreover, I wouldn't trust Microsoft with this task. With Vista, use Kaspersky.

6. Software & Hardware   -   #6
    The zone alarm one only provides Basic Network and Program Firewall and the trial lasts for fifteen days only.....I was thinking about Anti spyware betal (http://www.microsoft.com/athome/secu...e/default.mspx) or
    AVG (http://free.grisoft.com/doc/1).....I'm not sure whether they would be enough though.....I need something compatible with Azuerus so that my PC (my parents PC) doesn't get hacked....do these look reliable and sufficient?......

7. Software & Hardware   -   #7
    iKnow BT Rep: +1
    off topic
    Yes but I don't think this is Vista. In fact an expired Norton Internet Security confirms this.Moreover, I wouldn't trust Microsoft with this task. With Vista, use Kaspersky.
    Kaspersky isn't free..they only have 30 days trial versions..
    on topic
    AV: AntiVir PersonalEdition Classic. /// AVG
    AS: ewido (free edt.) /// SUPERAntiSpyware (free edt.) /// Spyware Terminator
    FW: Jetico 1 or CHX-I

These are the programs u should consider if u wanna be safe at no cost!
    Last edited by tobb3; 04-06-2007 at 06:15 PM.

8. Software & Hardware   -   #8
    The zone alarm one only provides Basic Network and Program Firewall and the trial lasts for fifteen days only
    Not true. The one I posted has no time limit. It's not a trial version.

You'll need an Antivirus too. AVG should be ok but I recommend NOD32 but it's not free.

9. Software & Hardware   -   #9
    NOD32 seems brilliant, but my dad is in no mood to buy any anti-spyware after how disappointing Norton turned out......spyware terminator and super antiSpyware seems decent enough.........if anyone has any other suggestion that would be great, though for now I'm going to have to risk it with these two -they better keep the hackers out.....

I just realized I have Windows security center which includes a firewall but no virus protection.......whats the most reliable and efficient free hacker blocking spyware?......
    Last edited by fz_shurtugal; 04-06-2007 at 10:02 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

10. Software & Hardware   -   #10
    Of the things you mention "NOD32 seems brilliant....spyware terminator and super antiSpyware seems decent enough", only Nod32 is an actual anti-virus. Be careful, don't confuse anti-spyware with anti-virus they are two different animals.

I have used the free versions of ZoneAlarm and Avg for years now and although I do not use Azuerus any more I have in the past. "The ZoneAlarm one only provides Basic Network and Program Firewall and the trial lasts for fifteen days only.....I was thinking about Anti spyware betal" you have to be so noobee to mix up a firewall with spyware scanners. You need:

1. A good firewall (google "zonealarm free")
    2. A good Anti-Virus (google "avg free")
    3. Several spyware scanner/cleaner applications (like A-Squared, Adaware Pe, and spybot search&destroy and all have free versions)

Zonealarm and grisoft (avg) have pay for versions as well as free versions and I don't blame them for kind of hiding the free versions so you will buy instead. If you visit their sites it will be difficult to find the free one but if you google "Avg free" it will get you to the page and the same for ZoneAlarm.

Finally, you should never be connected to the internet for even a minute without a firewall, so disconnect physically when you uninstall Norton and install whatever you choose. Before you start, google "remove symantec completely" and look for a link to the symantec page for their removal tool. People have had great difficulty when uninstalling Norton because they don't go willingly. If any traces are left of it, your system could become buggy when they conflict with your new software.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast