Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 512mb ram as 448mb

thewizeard's Avatar re-member BT Rep: +1
    Wouldn't it be just a good idea to upgrade such a computer with a couple of RAM modules from 1gig each considering the "modern"games of today, that all use loads of memory. All my computers have been upgraded to 4gigs . There are also very cheap usb sticks today. ( I know you said you rather not)

....You could try an mp3 player too. I tried that once and ran two of my servers on a IPod, using its memory, for more than a week.....

2. Software & Hardware   -   #12
    Either you are using an onboard graphics chip or you have a cheap generic ATI/nVidia card that shares system ram for video ram. Get a more expensive card that only uses it's fast DDR2 or faster video memory. Then your system will report full ram because it will only be using the graphics card ram for gaming.
    Last edited by killuminati96; 04-10-2007 at 09:55 AM.

3. Software & Hardware   -   #13
    clocker's Avatar Shovel Ready
    Quote Originally Posted by thewizeard View Post
    All my computers have been upgraded to 4gigs .
    What OS are you running and much of the 4GBs does it actually see?
    "I am the one who knocks."- Heisenberg

4. Software & Hardware   -   #14
    Hallo Clocker, noob speaking here.. I have three computers running, linked through LAN and running SlavaNap servers (8) a couple of BitTorrent sites and two 24/7 Internet radio stations. These are all rather intensive RAM guzzlers.

Windows XP PRO OS on all three computers powered by Intel pentium 4 3ghz processors and hosted on D915PGN mother boards and one AMD Athlon64 3200+processor hosted on a MSI K8NGM2 Mother Board. After a reboot, they show about 3.4 gigs RAM ..but regarding that rebooting, I hardly ever have to do that, unless windows (XP) wishes to update... which as we all know is nearly daily.

Normally I reboot roughly every 30 days.

5. Software & Hardware   -   #15
    Quote Originally Posted by thewizeard View Post
    they show about 3.4 gigs RAM ..
    Just as I suspected.
    I've tried running 4GB and it irritated me that XP wouldn't see it all (seems to vary between 3.1 and 3.4GB) so I reverted back to 2x1GB and called it good.
    2GB seemed to be sufficient, even with Vista (which I've since ditched) but times do change and I'm sure that 2GB will soon be considered marginal.

6. Software & Hardware   -   #16
    A bit off topic.. I wish I could "borrow" one of your monster computers for a month of so.. My mouth waters as I view them..: )

7. Software & Hardware   -   #17
    No drooling on the hardware, Wiz.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12