Thread: File corruption from FAT32 to NTFS?

can I curse? FUCK!
    I was just wondering if it'll corrupt files or do something to programs if I were to convert a FAT32 drive to an NTFS.

2. Software & Hardware   -   #2
    SHUVT's Avatar Poster BT Rep: +30BT Rep +30BT Rep +30BT Rep +30BT Rep +30BT Rep +30
    You should not have any problems unless you are running MAC based software. Fat32 is universal and NTFS is more specific to MS I believe. You should not have any problems with re particianing your drive to NTFS. Is this a slave drive or a primary?
    I haven't taken a beating like that since I opened my first issue of Hustler!
    The World is a Sick Place and I'm a Happy Guy!

3. Software & Hardware   -   #3
    Storm's Avatar Poster BT Rep: +3
    slave or primary wont matter, and the whole thing will go without a problem at all....... in theory. however there is always a small chance something will go wrong. backup important data if you really wanna be sure

actually FAT has been developed by MS, as was NTFS, but MS has given te specifications for FAT, whilest they hold NTFS' a secret (which is why NTFS is the only OS that supports NTFS)
    great FTP site for awesome quality video clips
    yeah, you have to sign up, but its worth it

4. Software & Hardware   -   #4
    SHUVT's Avatar Poster BT Rep: +30BT Rep +30BT Rep +30BT Rep +30BT Rep +30BT Rep +30
    I also found that if you intend to transfer a single file larger than 4gb you can not do it in the FAT format. I just purchased a 500gb mybook and couldn't figure out why it gave me not enough memory message everytime I tried to move a dvdr image over to it. So I had to reformat to NTFS and no problems now.
    I haven't taken a beating like that since I opened my first issue of Hustler!
    The World is a Sick Place and I'm a Happy Guy!

5. Software & Hardware   -   #5
    Quote Originally Posted by SHUVT View Post
    I also found that if you intend to transfer a single file larger than 4gb you can not do it in the FAT format. I just purchased a 500gb mybook and couldn't figure out why it gave me not enough memory message everytime I tried to move a dvdr image over to it. So I had to reformat to NTFS and no problems now.
    That's just great !
    I'm exactly in the same case.I was targetting a WD 250 Go external drive.SHUVT,how much space did you loose in the process ?

6. Software & Hardware   -   #6
    can I curse? FUCK!
    Quote Originally Posted by Storm View Post
    slave or primary wont matter, and the whole thing will go without a problem at all....... in theory. however there is always a small chance something will go wrong. backup important data if you really wanna be sure

actually FAT has been developed by MS, as was NTFS, but MS has given te specifications for FAT, whilest they hold NTFS' a secret (which is why NTFS is the only OS that supports NTFS)
    Lol well its one of my uncle's PCs at his pharmacy. That thing is still using FAT32 and it gets VERY annoying when you have to install something, reboot and do that checkdisk thing that takes FOREVER. I tried canceling and it reboots and does it again I believe. They have loads of medical records and stuff on there and no time to back it all up so thats why I wanted to know if it'll fuck up the system.

Either way, I guess its way too risky.