Thread: DVD Drive cannot read DVD-RW

Poster
    When I put in an old or new DVD +RW disk, I get this error message.

Disk is not formatted
    Windows cannot read from this disk. The disk might be corrupted, or it could be using a format that is no compatible with windows.

Is there any ways to fix this? thanks.

2. Software & Hardware   -   #2
    sanjana's Avatar Cherish your life... BT Rep: +15BT Rep +15BT Rep +15
    May I know the name of the DVD recorder to burn that you are using. Please check your DVD recorder is supported with the DVD+RW. Please also try writing the other DVD media. It will fix the issue.Please format the DVD using the inCD software from the nero and check is it able format. Because you can format the DVD+RW

3. Software & Hardware   -   #3
    Poster
    Quote Originally Posted by sanjana View Post
    May I know the name of the DVD recorder to burn that you are using. Please check your DVD recorder is supported with the DVD+RW. Please also try writing the other DVD media. It will fix the issue.Please format the DVD using the inCD software from the nero and check is it able format. Because you can format the DVD+RW
    How do you format it using inCD? Yes it worked at first but after I ease it, i got the message. The name is Philips.

4. Software & Hardware   -   #4
    lynx's Avatar .
    InCD and DirectCD use UDF packet writing format on rewritable disks. Windows XP can also use this format for it's drag-and drop recording using a partial implementation of DirectCD. Vista uses Mount Rainier format, which is an extension of UDF. In all cases the disk needs to be formatted before it can be used, but if you did it from XP you may not have noticed it was happening.

There are 2 ways of erasing a disk formatted in UDF format - a data erase keeps the format while a full erase loses the format. It sounds like you've used the second method and ended up with a disk that needs reformatting.

However, sometimes performing a full erase on a UDF format disk causes the disk to be marked as having no free space, even though it is empty. If this has happened you won't be able to use the disk at all. I've managed occasionally to recover a disk in such a state, just to try to find out what was happening, but the effort involved isn't really worthwhile.
    Political correctness is based on the principle that it's possible to pick up a turd by the clean end.

5. Software & Hardware   -   #5
    cheers