Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Pointless Topics and Useless Replies

Skiz's Avatar (_8(I)
    Quote Originally Posted by rossco View Post
    Or we could just remove all traces of invites section from the n00bs, ie no more 'post x and wait xx to get into invites section' threads and other advertisements.
    Let it be a nice surprise to those who are proper members here, and raise the requirements.
    Sounds fantastic. Let's get that ball rolling.

yo

2. Everything Related to the Board   -   #22
    thewizeard's Avatar re-member BT Rep: +1
    Quote Originally Posted by JPaul View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Skizo View Post

It's what you don't see.....

There is a good deal of moderation. I logged on an hour ago, and am just now getting around to browsing, as the first hour was spent working on problems. (ie - moderating)

Not to come off the wrong way, but you're making a lot of judgments for someone who has just joined the forum. May I assume you're an old member under a new name, or just another JP ID?
    Not me mate, all my current names are well known.

Quote Originally Posted by knight76 View Post
    I like you.

You may only be here to get into the invite section, of which I disapprove, but you have a mild form of OCD, which always makes for a decent spud.

Can I suggest you try other things on the forum too, I think you'll like them. I'm sure you would enjoy the Lounge.
    Haha, You should see me playing scrabble. It's more than mild.
    I'm betting that in two player scrabble (the only type) you would expect a joint score of over 600, with nearer 700 being decent. You would also expect that there would be at least one seven letter word but happier if there were two of three.

Further a dictionary may be referred to, but only when a challenge is made. "No you can't use it to check the spelling, put what you think it is and if it's wrong I'll challenge it and we can check and no you won't get another "shot", if it's wrong it's wrong"

Anyone who challenges a word like adz (adze) or qua is not even worth playing. "Fuck if you don't know words like that then why even bother with scrabble".

You would like j2 btw, you'll find him in the Drawing Room most of the time.
    a gem.

3. Everything Related to the Board   -   #23
    j2k4's Avatar en(un)lightened
    I have spent perhaps an hour altogether in the torrent section, and when I do take a peek, I usually withdraw in bafflement.

I would be very much in favor of doing something (anything) to lessen the workload on the team members whose time is consumed so completely by the piddling concerns over invites, stolen/misused accounts, and various scams...we cater to almost everyone here, and I wouldn't want to infringe on the activities of those who participate constructively in the torrent section, but it seems to me that an offer of enduring quality over rampant quantity by way of membership would indicate the desired route.

There are some genuine misunderstandings between members in that section which warrant the attention of the mods who attend, but the torrent section also attracts an element that can only be described as riff-raff.

Again, not being well-versed in torrent activity, I can only say there would be a definite benefit to raising the bar of entry so as to discourage those who will not conduct themselves seriously.

This would have the added feature of assuaging my considerable guilt over not being of more use to my fellow mods.
    "Researchers have already cast much darkness on the subject, and if they continue their investigations, we shall soon know nothing at all about it."

-Mark Twain

4. Everything Related to the Board   -   #24
    JPaul's Avatar Fat Secret Agent
    That's a yes, Ross.

5. Everything Related to the Board   -   #25
    j2k4's Avatar en(un)lightened
    Quote Originally Posted by JPaul View Post
    That's a yes, Ross.
    My "edit" function is permanently enabled and living in Scotland.
    "Researchers have already cast much darkness on the subject, and if they continue their investigations, we shall soon know nothing at all about it."

-Mark Twain

6. Everything Related to the Board   -   #26
    Quote Originally Posted by Skizo View Post
    It's what you don't see.....

There is a good deal of moderation. I logged on an hour ago, and am just now getting around to browsing, as the first hour was spent working on problems. (ie - moderating)
    Sorry I didn't mean to imply there was no moderation, I should've phrased it better. Good moderation should be invisible anyway, but whatever is being done now, the point is it's not enough. That's not a criticism of you or the other mods, you've clearly got your hands full and are probably doing more than a moderator should have to. The combination of sheer volume and poor quality posts is the problem, and you've got to meet that with more mods.

Not to come off the wrong way, but you're making a lot of judgments for someone who has just joined the forum. May I assume you're an old member under a new name, or just another JP ID?
    No I'm completely green here, signed up the first day I found FST. But having run a forum in the past I've had to deal with these problems before. The only judgment I've made is that there is a big problem in BitTorrent, and that is clear as day even after half an hour of browsing, never mind a month. I don't claim to know how to solve the ultimate problem of attracting the right people to FST, that's up to the staff here who I'm sure have a lot of experience with the dynamics of this particular board.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123