Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: France And Usa

Poster
    Hey looks like we're buddying up with the French again.
    Or are we?
    Look Here!

And Here

Are they going to kiss?

And Here

Ooops...wrong thread.
    I'm thinking about using this as my avatar.

EVIAN, France — With the tranquil French countryside as their backdrop,
    World leaders clamped a harmonious face on the summit simmering with disputes over the war, striking a united front with pledges of billions of dollars to fight AIDS (search) and hunger in poor nations.

The meeting's most closely watched moment was the welcoming handshake between French President Jacques Chirac (search) and Bush, whose wartime differences led to angry recriminations on both sides of the Atlantic. They greeted each other with polite smiles, a brief handshake and small talk before walking into a luncheon with other presidents and prime ministers.

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,88291,00.html

I believe that Mr.Bush had no choice here.
    We'll see.

2. The Drawing Room   -   #2
    Illuminati's Avatar Simple Bystander BT Rep: +7BT Rep +7
    I don't know - The summit may have been a double-edged sword.

On the one hand, this has nothing to do with the war (but then again, neither did the Eurovision Song Contest, and look what happened to the UK entry then. Yes, I knew Jemini were crap anyway, but still...). The handshake could have been a symbol of the fact that they know that the opinions of the war cannot cloud this summit's main aim, hence they were willing to do this to show the world that they encourage that the hostilities between USA/UK and France (,Germany, Italy and practically 60%+ of the world's major countries) should be limited by all to just the subject of war instead letting it spill to such a problem as AIDS.

On the other hand, Bush is known to be practically the "most-wanted" American in the world by all the countries that were against the war, and the press did play a big part in that (but not as much as world opinion was anyway). The biggest publicised part of the hostilities are the mutual finger flipping between USA and France - If the leaders of these two countries are seen putting the differences behind them, then it may create a start for Bush to regain his pre-war public opinion outside the US.

Maybe I'm being naive, but I can't see Chirac doing it for the latter - It might be to win the Americans' respect of France again, but I can't see him needing it more than Bush.

Well that's my opinion - I'm expecting jPaul to thoroughly dissect this opinion (but I'm looking more forward to him flaming it ...)

3. The Drawing Room   -   #3
    clocker's Avatar Shovel Ready
    I don't think that Bush gives a rat's ass about world opinion.
    He did however, just begin his reelection campaign here in the States and being seen as a statesman is of enormous benefit in that arena.
    Even if it isn't true.
    For Bush, simply restraining himself from pissing on the French President's leg was an act of the highest diplomacy.
    "I am the one who knocks."- Heisenberg

4. The Drawing Room   -   #4
    j2k4's Avatar en(un)lightened
    Dubya can do what he pleases vis `a vis Chirac; I find great joy in depising him, and shall continue to do so.

Chirac IS very eager to mend fences; and to do what he can in this regard before Tony Blair signs the U.K. into the E.U. this month.

Even though the principle is to give the E.U. a more-or-less unified voice in diplomatic/economic matters, Chirac very much wants to be it's titular head, and to be viewed as the "face" of the E.U.

If Blair and the U.K. sign on before Chirac makes appreciable headway, Blair will assume the role of E.U. "spokesman" (which would suit HIM just fine) largely as a result of his relationship with the U.S.

Apart from the "ego" issue, it is specifically for this reason (the reflected glow of the U.S./U.K. bond) that Chirac wishes to don the mantle of E.U. leadership; he believes the E.U. should assume a posture of direct competition with the U.S. so as to position itself (and therefore France) at the top of the world pecking-order.

I wish Blair would re-consider committing the U.K. to joining the E.U.; it smells like big trouble just around the corner.
    "Researchers have already cast much darkness on the subject, and if they continue their investigations, we shall soon know nothing at all about it."

-Mark Twain

5. The Drawing Room   -   #5
    clocker's Avatar Shovel Ready
    Originally posted by j2k4@2 June 2003 - 08:20

I wish Blair would re-consider committing the U.K. to joining the E.U.; it smells like big trouble just around the corner.
    I'm sure you're mistaken, j2.

The Europeans are so much more mature than we.
    "I am the one who knocks."- Heisenberg

6. The Drawing Room   -   #6
    Originally posted by clocker+2 June 2003 - 09:27--></span><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (clocker @ 2 June 2003 - 09:27)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin--j2k4@2 June 2003 - 08:20

I&#39;m sure you&#39;re mistaken, j2.

The Europeans are so much more mature than we. [/b][/quote]
    Oh-yes, I completely forgot, how gauche of me.

They are more mature than we, and by this I mean (in the case of France) OLD, almost to the point of (dare I say it), well, childishness&#33;
    "Researchers have already cast much darkness on the subject, and if they continue their investigations, we shall soon know nothing at all about it."

-Mark Twain

7. The Drawing Room   -   #7
    Rat Faced's Avatar Broken
    Chirac IS very eager to mend fences; and to do what he can in this regard before Tony Blair signs the U.K. into the E.U. this month.

The UK has been a member of the EU since the 1970&#39;s (when it was known as the Common Market with fewer members)

Its one of the &#39;Big 3&#39; EU countries already (UK, France, Germany) and is subject to EU Law as well as UK law.

Did we leave and i missed it? (Granted we only joined to annoy the French........)

It hasnt joined the &#39;Euro&#39; currency yet, and entry to that will depend upon a referendum.....I dont think there are any plans to hold one this month.

On second thoughts, Blaires view of democracy seems to be a show of hands in Cabinet IS a referendum in his book

An It Harm None, Do What You Will

8. The Drawing Room   -   #8
    Poster
    Originally posted by Illuminati@2 June 2003 - 13:49
    Well that&#39;s my opinion - I&#39;m expecting jPaul to thoroughly dissect this opinion (but I&#39;m looking more forward to him flaming it ...)
    Not JPaul
    But I have a few things to say about your post.

I have to agree with a lot of what you said.
    The handshake was exactly that,"a symbol".
    This meeting had been planned for quite a while.
    In regard to the 60% of the world&#39;s major countries not supporting the US(in what it does) is par for the course in my lifetime.
    As a matter of fact I thought it usually ran higher than that.
    What makes this different is not so much the French opposing it as it was Germany/France together opposing the US.
    Yup..no matter what everyone wants to be seen standing side by side with the US President and I don&#39;t think that America&#39;s symbolic "finger" has dropped quite yet.
    Bush had only enjoyed popularity outside the US for one reason and one reason alone "9/11".
    Typically the US pres. is not loved by a majority of the world.
    I don&#39;t think Americans lost respect for France instead I think we were reminded once again of just who the French really are.
    The French condescendingly look down there nose at American&#39;s.
    They&#39;ve never liked America or it&#39;s culture and have opposed the US(when it could)continually through my life.
    I don&#39;t think Mr. Bush much needs the respect of the French or of Mr.Chirac.
    As a matter of fact Chirac&#39;s head is being called for in some quarters now in France due to the heavy economic losses that are being unleashed by average Americans.
    This is most evident in the price of an airline ticket.
    A round trip ticket from NY to Paris last time I checked was at &#036;350.00.
    That is a very solid indicator of just how bad the French economy is reeling in the wake of their recent behavior.

Btw I love that Illuminatti stuff.
    I&#39;ve been wanting to ask you about it for a while now.
    What is your thinking on that?
    Does your sig say it all?
    Is there a website or 2 that you&#39;d recommend.
    I know there out there damn it&#33;

9. The Drawing Room   -   #9
    Guillaume's Avatar Kentish old lady BT Rep: +8BT Rep +8
    Originally posted by ShockAndAwe^i^@2 June 2003 - 22:41
    As a matter of fact Chirac&#39;s head is being called for in some quarters now in France due to the heavy economic losses that are being unleashed by average Americans.
    Actually, Chirac&#39;s in trouble because he and his government are putting the retirement system as we knew it at risk: the prime minister and his team are proposing to change the law, so that people will have to work longer ( meaning working till they&#39;re 65 or more...)
    That has nothing to do with the current economical situation, which is as ShockAndAwe^i^ said, quite disastrous...

10. The Drawing Room   -   #10
    Originally posted by Rat Faced@2 June 2003 - 13:51

The UK has been a member of the EU since the 1970&#39;s (when it was known as the Common Market with fewer members)

Its one of the &#39;Big 3&#39; EU countries already (UK, France, Germany) and is subject to EU Law as well as UK law.

Did we leave and i missed it? (Granted we only joined to annoy the French........)

It hasnt joined the &#39;Euro&#39; currency yet, and entry to that will depend upon a referendum.....I dont think there are any plans to hold one this month.

On second thoughts, Blaires view of democracy seems to be a show of hands in Cabinet IS a referendum in his book
    Rat-

To clarify:

My info is that Blair intends, this month, to officially approve a new European Union constitution, the intent of which is, apparently, to create a "United States of Europe", and would have the effect of turning Parliament into something more on the order of a local council.

All control of "economic, defense, and foreign and immigration policies" would default to Brussels, and voila&#33; No more British sovereignty.

Blair has apparently somehow ruled out a referendum vote on the matter, on the grounds that, in his estimation, the issue is too "complicated" for voters to understand.

Much of this comes from your Trevor Kavanagh, political editor of the SUN.

Check it out-I&#39;d love to know if this is the straight dope.

-Mark Twain

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast