Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 3000 P2p Users Busted In Italy

Check "The Register". According to them this story is bogus.

www.theregus.com is one URL. There's another for the UK. I would post a link but I don't use "SPYWARE". (Internet Explorer)

2. File Sharing   -   #12
    God Damn.

My internet company just called me and told me to stop sharing movie files
    this blows ass, I was gonna get TMD Distro Access tomrorrow

3. File Sharing   -   #13
    Well I would figure that means don't upload, not download, and as far as sharing goes you want to be a little more careful about new realeses and use Peer Guardian.

Regaring the story I would like a link showing its real or fake. Seems believable considering what I've heard about the state of the Italian goverment lately, being on the broke side. Also considering all the probes from Telecom Italia lately, its even more believable.

4. File Sharing   -   #14
    God this is bloody bad. I am on 56k dialup so im probably ok (just about ) but i feel sorry 4 sum of u guys out there. I want to find out more about some rumour i heard about some rich guy makin his own country in neutral sea on an old oil rig - no copyright laws! sounds good to me. if i eva get that rich i might like to do that...

5. File Sharing   -   #15
    REALITY wrote:

Regaring the story I would like a link showing its real or fake.
    http://www.theregister.co.uk/content/6/31011.html

Yes, it was overzealous journalism on the part of an Italian newspaper ... that unfortunately got picked up by other Italian newspapers and spread with all the speed of a typical urban legend. Here are the pertinent paragraphs about this from The Register:

"So I phoned Captain Mauro Piccinni, who is in charge of the Milan police branch that launched the alleged raid, and asked for details. It turns out that there is no wide-ranging raid on average Joe Downloaders. His branch is merely prosecuting a group of about 200 Italian Net users who were buying and selling pirate CDs containing copyrighted software, music and movies, which is a crime that carries a prison sentence. Not-for-profit P2P sharing does not."

"Piccinni vehemently denied any involvement of ordinary P2P users in his investigation. P2P was mentioned to Repubblica reporters only because the illegal material was originally downloaded from KaZaA and the like by the ringleaders of this petty gang. Moreover, the investigation began last September, before new copyright laws came into force in Italy, so the EUCD has nothing to do with the whole mess. But why let mere facts get in the way of an interesting story?"

Gandalf on Crack wrote:

My internet company just called me and told me to stop sharing movie files
    this blows ass, I was gonna get TMD Distro Access tomrorrow
    Does your local broadband company have competitors? Time to shop around, if so.

6. File Sharing   -   #16
    What the italian people say (from the imesh italian forum)

Posted: Your Jun 03, 2003 4:05 pm Post subject: we are safe? from understood how much or one does not know if we are outside law or but if eventually it we were not, exists at the moment the real danger to look at itself to dull in house two financiers? we are rintracciabili on imash and as? we are million in the world to use this system in order to have film and music like is behaved in the other states? Back to top edfex User Joined: 21 Jan 2003 Posts: 23 Location: Florence Posted: Your Jun 03, 2003 7:31 pm Post subject: Sure never!! As all know Italy is a country where the certainties are bread for little. Unfortunately as many times happen the first months from the escape of one new read the police enforcements use the hard fist, there would be million examples. True E' the one which you say that there are million customers, but is also true who we are all rintracciabili. As you know when you connects you to Internet comes then assigned an IP navigating lasci traces of your situated every passage in that visits. There is a riportabile example for the peer to peer(da verificare), I have read that in Holland there are persons who have looked at themselves to only recapitare demanded of payment for the fact to have unloaded material subordinate to copyright.(se then are a metropolitan legend would not know!&#33 We do not forget that new the decree legislative other does not make that to recepire a communitarian directive, than other it is not that it reads for all the European states. I hope that this attempt to punish indiscriminately every download finds persto a point. First why an excessive law therefore does not help the Major that they want to fight the phenomenon of the pirateria indeed. Begun to lower the prices and people will not unload more!!!!!!!!!!!

7. File Sharing   -   #17
    Another one from imesh

To continuation of last new RAI, it seems that also this practical one is illegal. In practical we are all of the outlaw? It seems that the GDF is inquiring on that they practice the exchange of files in net and quite it is spoken about receiving. Someone są other preciser information in merit? Back to top edfex User Joined: 21 Jan 2003 Posts: 23 Location: Florence Posted: Sat May 31, 2003 7:29 pm Post subject: The violation of the copyright is from always one truth. When still the cd they did not exist and you copied a cassette, what you made? Today the speech various and more is perhaps complicated. The new law entered in vigor from little, punishes who illegally acquires copied software. Therefore not more solo who work to the aim of lucro, distributing illegal copies, but also the purchaser. For pear to pear the issue still it is discussed. For hour it would not have to be incurred in the danger of a fine, in how much as already said the law it is taken care specifically of the virtual physical copies and not of those contained ones on the hard disk. You always remember yourselves that to unload from Internet to the aim of visionare the software and lawyer. Purchč the copy comes destroyed endured after the appraisal. If to the contrary we possess the software legalmete acquired then the copy to the ends of backup is always lawful. Never not used that that unloaded in order to make moneies, why only then you could incur in penal endorsements. In future, goodness knows, thoughts to plan napster 2, than through the payment of little dollars allow you to legal unload the contained songs in the archives. Sure considering that that today is possible to unload, (that is all!!&#33 you do not believe that it would be right to reward the effort of the artist? Not the Major or the multinationals (that they would go razed to the ground!!!&#33 but who intellectually creates for the others!! Hello to all!!! Eddy Back to top edfex User Joined: 21 Jan 2003 Posts: 23 Location: Florence Posted: Mon Jun 02, 2003 2:15 pm Post subject: corrections Just E' to be precise, to the aim to avoid heavy penal and administrative consequences. My previous answer was imprecisa. For correctness I replace You the indicted article that is D.Lgs. n. 68/2003. Art. 26 To the article 171-ter, first codicil, of law 22 you open them 1941, n. 633, the letter d), is replaced from following: "d) it stops for the sale or the distribution, places in commerce, sells, rents, yields to whichever title it, projects in public, transmits to means of the radio or the television with whichever procedure, video cassettes, musicassette, whichever containing support phonograms or videogrammi of musical, cinematographic or audiovisional works or sequences of images in motion, or other support for which it is prescribed, to the senses of the present law, the affixing of mark from part of the Italian Authors and Publishers Association (S.I.A.E.), you deprive of the same mark or equips you of counterfeit or altered mark;". Art. 28 the article 174-ter of law 22 you open them 1941, n.633, is substitute from following: "Art. 174-ter Anyone illicit uses, also via ether or cable, it duplicates, it reproduces, in all or part, with whichever procedure, also taking advantage of instruments actions to elude the technological measures of protection, protect works or materials, or it acquires or it rents supports audiovisual aids, phonographic, informed or not consistent multimediali to us to the prescription of the present law, that is equipments, products or members actions to elude technological measures of protection it is punished, provided that the fact does not concur with the crimes of which to articles 171, 171-bis, 171-ter, 171quater, 171-quinquies, 171-septies and 171-octies, with the pecuniaria administrative endorsement of euro 154 and with the endorsements accessory of the seizure of the material and the publication of provision on a daily newspaper to national spread. In case of recidiva or serious fact for the amount of the violations or the copies acquired or rented, the administrative endorsement is increased until to euro 1032,00 and the fact is punished with the seizure of the instruments and of the material, with the publication of the provision on two or more daily newspapers to national spread or on or more periodicals it specializes to you in the field of the show and, if draft of entrepreneurial activity, with revoca it of the concession or the authorization of radiotelevisiva spread or the authorization for the exercise of the productive activity or trades them.". Hour as many know sure legisaltive dispositions they are not free from necessary interpretations. E' still too much soon in order to expect intepretative sentences of the Cassation. We to us can then try. With reference to previous the my answer if the unloaded material is not used to the aim of the art.26 that is the aim of lucro, us they would not have to be problems. Unfortunately the speech changes for the art.28 that it punishes every download that viola the copyright. What I invite to observe are not the administrative endorsements, penitentiaries and, but that increase that takes the name of pubbicazione on a daily paper of national spread. As very sapete the fines and the fines can be always paid but the exposure to national level of just name does not have compensation!!! I hope that others want to participate to the analysis of this mine reply. Unfortunately what many feared stą revealing itself one truth. Hello to all!!!

8. File Sharing   -   #18
    The Italian iMesh posts are a bit hard to read ... but, I think the Register article is accurate. Police were not busting file-sharers, per se (and certainly not 3,000 as the topic header suggests). They busted 200 people who downloaded copyrighted stuff and then attempted to sell what they downloaded. Over here, the law doesn't see much difference. In Italy, the law does see a difference ... at least, according to the article in The Register.

9. File Sharing   -   #19
    The Italian iMesh posts are a bit hard to read
    I'm sorry ,i make the translation with altavista .

10. File Sharing   -   #20
    No need to apologize. I wasn't meaning my comment as "criticism," just as an observation. But, the Register reporter spoke directly with the cop mentioned in the Italian article that started this urban legend ... and the cop himself (the Register's words) vehemently denied P2P involvement -- other than the fact that the material being sold on CDs came from online sources.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12