Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Are current PS2 graphics on par with current Xbox?

Poster
    I remember when PS2 first came out, the graphics were quite similar to mature Dreamcast games. When Xbox came out, I got one immediately because the graphics seemed worlds apart from PS2. Yet despite the limitations, PS2 held out surprisingly long. Do you think PS2 games now, like God Of War 2 and Metal Gear Solid 3 are on par with Xbox games, or will Xbox games always be better looking than PS2?
    www.never-dead.cjb.net

Ardeth In Pre-Production

2. Games   -   #2
    abu_has_the_power's Avatar I have cool stars
    xbox games look better now, and will always look better than ps2. doom 3, hl2, ninja gaiden, etc, just can't run on ps2. although doom3 and hl2 are shitty on xbox, at least they can run

ps2 sold more than xbox because it has twice or 3 times as many games. and cuz god of war is just fucking awesome

3. Games   -   #3
    I think Xbox have a stronger potential since the CPU/GPU is faster and easy to work on. But, still, With the PS2 lates releases like Radiata Stories, Shadow of the colossus and Genjis, I would say that the PS2 have somewhat finaly reached xbox visuals or, aren't really far. Serious xbox's games devellopement stopped a years ago or more with Halo 2. PS2 devellopers didn't stopped to innovate and they deserve respect from what they pulled out of that little jap beast.
    Last edited by Melchior00; 04-12-2007 at 05:51 AM.

4. Games   -   #4
    Poster
    Are Xbox games still being produced at all by big-budget developers?
    www.never-dead.cjb.net

Ardeth In Pre-Production

5. Games   -   #5
    The Xbox (game system) is now discontinued. I think that its the same for game devellopement.

6. Games   -   #6
    can I curse? FUCK!
    What are you guys talking about? The specs of the Xbox are better than the PS2. The games can't make the specs better. If you think the visuals are better then the textures of the game or the lighting of the game (if PS2 can do perform dynamic lighting) probably have weakened.

Take San Andreas. I don't know how my friend found the graphics to be awesome. The walls seemed like a solid shade which can be rendered easily and if there were any different textures to the walls it looked like it was near the N64's level of detail.

7. Games   -   #7
    Poster
    Yeah, but it seems that a lot Xbox developers never utilised the console's potential to a point that it totally overshadowed excellent PS2 games.
    www.never-dead.cjb.net

Ardeth In Pre-Production

8. Games   -   #8
    can I curse? FUCK!
    Yeah they did. I remember playing HALO 2 at my friend's place or even knights of the old republic. Whenever sparks would fly all over or explosions blew shit up all around, the frames would drop drastically.

9. Games   -   #9
    Poster
    Thats not using it to it's full potential though. Using the system optimally would be coding it in the way that it could handle those effects.
    www.never-dead.cjb.net

Ardeth In Pre-Production

10. Games   -   #10
    can I curse? FUCK!
    By handling those effects then that would mean to turn the graphics down because unless you're an extremely sloppy programmer who likes to waste memory, there is no reason to make code that will bog the system down.

Besides, Bungie had plenty of time to mess around with code from Halo 1 and the frames still dipped sometimes in Halo 2.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast