Thread: Problem, trying to narrow it down.

mbucari1's Avatar Poster BT Rep: +35BT Rep +35BT Rep +35BT Rep +35BT Rep +35BT Rep +35BT Rep +35
    Let me first say that I'm not a computer n00b. I have built several with no real problems until now.

I went home from school this past weekend with my computer to have a LAN party with some friends. One friend brought a power strip that's estimated to be ~25 years old. I plugged my computer and monitor into it, as did he. His started up fine, but mine didn't.

HISTORY: Once my psu is unplugged, the capacitors need to be recharged. normally I after it had been unplugged I would press the power button and it would start quickly, then shut off for 2 seconds then automatically startup again.

So I press the power and it starts and stops (as expected), but it doesn't start again. I tried again and it didn't respond at all. I moved plugs and it started up finally, but there was no display. (I have an nvidia 7950GT requiring power from the psu.) This made me nervous, so I unplugged it and plugged it into the wall., I tested the monitor on another computer and it worked. I tried other things like removing the card from the pcie slot and plowing it out, but nothing worked. The more times I started and stopped the pus, the more unstable it became until finally it wouldn't start at all. I was just about to try a different video card when this happened.

My question (and I'm pretty sure I know the answer) is do you think this is the power supply or sopmething else? I entertained the Idea of a bad motherboard for a while (ga965p-ds3 rev.1), and I don't think it's my video card (unless there is a problem with it unrelated to the other issues).

So with all that said, I think it's the psu (RP550-2). I just wanted the opinions from those more savvy than I.

2. Software & Hardware   -   #2
    Snee's Avatar Error xɐʇuʎs BT Rep: +1
    Yeah, it sounds as if it might be the psu.

I remember not getting an image when a graphics card wasn't getting enough power.

It would probably be reasonably safe to put another PSU in there to test.

If you have to get a new one of those, remember to get a quality PSU, and all that, you don't want some no-name crap to break down and take more of your hardware with it.

3. Software & Hardware   -   #3
    Colt Seevers's Avatar P()()p!3 $CR/-\P3R$ BT Rep: +3
    Quote Originally Posted by mbucari1 View Post
    HISTORY: Once my psu is unplugged, the capacitors need to be recharged. normally I after it had been unplugged I would press the power button and it would start quickly, then shut off for 2 seconds then automatically startup again.
    That's crazy to start with. Gotta be PSU I mean how long has it been dieing on it's arse like that to begin with?

Things like that are a sign! and I'm intrigued by this whole 'charging of the capacitors' malarky.... Who manufactures this PSU? and what was it's Wattage? ...Just wondering..
    Last edited by Colt Seevers; 04-18-2007 at 09:31 PM.

4. Software & Hardware   -   #4
    ZZDMAN's Avatar Dude!...Sweet!
    That shutting off for 2 seconds and then restarting is NOT ur psu recharging it's caps, that's a function built into the gigabyte DS3 boards (i'm running the same board).

Sounds to me like a busted power supply. What power supply is it?
    Intel E6400 w/Scythe Infinity @ 3.2ghz on Gigabyte DS3 - Patriot 2x1gb @ 800mhz (4-4-4-12, 1.9v) - Sapphire Radeon x1900xt 256mb @ Stock - OCZ GameXstream 600w

5. Software & Hardware   -   #5
    mbucari1's Avatar Poster BT Rep: +35BT Rep +35BT Rep +35BT Rep +35BT Rep +35BT Rep +35BT Rep +35
    Quote Originally Posted by ZZDMAN View Post
    That shutting off for 2 seconds and then restarting is NOT ur psu recharging it's caps, that's a function built into the gigabyte DS3 boards (i'm running the same board).

Sounds to me like a busted power supply. What power supply is it?
    Thanks for the info. This is not the first PSU that has done this, the one that came with the case did the same. I just thought my config was really power-hungry.

Anyway, I'm using the rosewill RP550-2

6. Software & Hardware   -   #6
    clocker's Avatar Shovel Ready
    Rosewill is the Newegg house brand and basically falls into the Bestec/Powman range, i.e. pure crap.

Beg, borrow or steal another supply and see if it works.
    If so, get a decent PSU.
    "I am the one who knocks."- Heisenberg

7. Software & Hardware   -   #7
    Quote Originally Posted by clocker View Post
    Rosewill is the Newegg house brand and basically falls into the Bestec/Powman range, i.e. pure crap.

Beg, borrow or steal another supply and see if it works.
    If so, get a decent PSU.
    I think I'll try the one from the pc I'm on now. As for rosewill, I've had good luck with it in the past. Always cheak (both in price and quality) but does it's job. I had just spent over $300 on my 7950GT and didn't feel like spending much on a psu.

8. Software & Hardware   -   #8
    clocker's Avatar Shovel Ready
    I had just spent over $300 on my 7950GT and didn't feel like spending much on a psu.
    Too bad your vid card doesn't "feel" like you do ([play]Peter Frampton[/play]).

Higher end parts require a higher end PSU.
    "I am the one who knocks."- Heisenberg

9. Software & Hardware   -   #9
    Quote Originally Posted by clocker View Post
    I had just spent over $300 on my 7950GT and didn't feel like spending much on a psu.
    Too bad your vid card doesn't "feel" like you do ([play]Peter Frampton[/play]).

Higher end parts require a higher end PSU.
    Damn. I was told that I could pretty much cheap-out on the psu. Oh well, I guess I will have to splurge. Any suggestions? I need a 550or greater 24pin for <$100.