Your Ad Here Your Ad Here
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 15

Thread: Giganews' Usenet binary retention to grow to 120 days over the next 18 days

  1. #1

  2. Newsgroups   -   #2
    link2009's Avatar NZBer
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    The Matrix
    Posts
    768
    Thanks for the info, I just think 120 days is too much anyway :X.

  3. Newsgroups   -   #3
    Quote Originally Posted by link2009 View Post
    Thanks for the info, I just think 120 days is too much anyway :X.

    I am glad of the increase! What is wrong with Giganews getting more retention? It seems everyone jumps up and down when retention is increased on other newshosting services.

    Sorry, if you don't like it, but I certianly do.

  4. Newsgroups   -   #4
    Athlon64's Avatar Newsgroup Bot
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    Third Planet From the Sun
    Age
    34
    Posts
    3,346
    Hmmm I gotta say, this is getting ridiculous now. That's fine and dandy that it's going to be 120days, but I think they should be focusing on prices and not retention. To the average joe 100 days is more than enough.

    Again 120 days is fine with me, I just want them to lower there price a little and I don't mean some type of special I mean a permanent change.

  5. Newsgroups   -   #5
    Broken's Avatar Obama Supporter
    Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Location
    Washington, DC
    Posts
    2,059
    And in two weeks I am sure Usenetserver will raise their retention to 121 days, still at half the price as giganews.

    Giganews, as said above, really needs to work on price.

  6. Newsgroups   -   #6
    MultiForce's Avatar Poster
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Age
    35
    Posts
    1,801
    Only thing I don't like, as last time, is that I guess usenet is soon going to get some more attention from the "wrong" people.

    I mean, "legally" storing warez for over 120 days?

  7. Newsgroups   -   #7
    Quote Originally Posted by Broken View Post
    And in two weeks I am sure Usenetserver will raise their retention to 121 days, still at half the price as giganews.

    Giganews, as said above, really needs to work on price.

    Don't count on usenet raising their retention again without a price increase. At 121 days or more I don't think it is gonna happen WITHOUT a price increase on usenet server.

  8. Newsgroups   -   #8
    mata7's Avatar I Love Lindsay
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Posts
    28
    one day we gone see 1 year retention

  9. Newsgroups   -   #9
    Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Posts
    1,377
    The is all 'linked' to the price of HD space; as perpendicular technology, along with better interfaces, has gone fully mainstream (ALL of Seagate drive have been perpendicular for about a year now), the prices have dropped like a rock, and that's what 'drives' the industry.

    5 years ago a 1GB drive (array) was about $2K, today it's about 1/4 that price at speeds about 4 times faster. The interfaces have gone even faster and cheaper, too. So, for what it cost 5 years ago, the storage can be increased maybe 10 fold (even though yes, usenet has increased as well but maybe only about 3 times the traffic).

    There are some magnetic storage technologies on the 'horizon' that will make today's seem like pitifull. But, like perpendicular recording, it will take a good 5+ years to develop and get in the hand of consumers. And don't even get me going on optical, that's the 'wild card' out there, with 12cm disks (the size of a cd/dvd) holding 100TB or more (only in the lab today).

  10. Newsgroups   -   #10
    link2009's Avatar NZBer
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    The Matrix
    Posts
    768
    Quote Originally Posted by Beck38 View Post
    The is all 'linked' to the price of HD space; as perpendicular technology, along with better interfaces, has gone fully mainstream (ALL of Seagate drive have been perpendicular for about a year now), the prices have dropped like a rock, and that's what 'drives' the industry.

    5 years ago a 1GB drive (array) was about $2K, today it's about 1/4 that price at speeds about 4 times faster. The interfaces have gone even faster and cheaper, too. So, for what it cost 5 years ago, the storage can be increased maybe 10 fold (even though yes, usenet has increased as well but maybe only about 3 times the traffic).

    There are some magnetic storage technologies on the 'horizon' that will make today's seem like pitifull. But, like perpendicular recording, it will take a good 5+ years to develop and get in the hand of consumers. And don't even get me going on optical, that's the 'wild card' out there, with 12cm disks (the size of a cd/dvd) holding 100TB or more (only in the lab today).
    That's interesting...I never heard they were developing 12CM Discs holding 100TB of data...LOL!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •