Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Does anyone get annoyed when a show gets cancelled?

Busyman™'s Avatar Use Logic Or STFU!
    Quote Originally Posted by vidcc View Post
    While I can see how a certain favorite show being canceled can be disappointing, it's probably better than have your show become stagnant due to lack of new story lines or ideas.
    If I could get 7 years of a good show and have the 8th and 9th years be shit, I'd rather have that then just 4 good years of the show.

Quote Originally Posted by ArchStanton View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by vidcc View Post
    While I can see how a certain favorite show being canceled can be disappointing, it's probably better than have your show become stagnant due to lack of new story lines or ideas.
    I agree with you to a certain extent, some TV shows definitely only have a limited shelf life and can become stagnant (I believe it is know as jumping the shark).

I don't think this was the case with 3lbs or Kidnapped however because both shows were cancelled before either series had been fully aired. I just think it is annoying when a show doesn't even get a chance to become established.
    No one watched 3lbs and it got shit reviews. Kidnapped was decent but no one watched. The same I think happened with Vanished.

Kidnapped and Vanished billed themselves as being 24-like and they weren't....at all.

Quote Originally Posted by firepong View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Busyman™ View Post

That's weird since the shows came out 3 years apart.

They were both Fox shows at that.
    Really? When I looked up John Doe, it said the season was over in 2004. And when I looked up Prison Break, it said that they started recordeing it in 2004
    John Doe's last episode aired on April 25, 2003.

Prison Break premiered Aug. 29, 2005.

I remember watching Firefly and John Doe around the same time period but John Doe lasted longer.

As a matter of fact they came on back-to-back on Friday night which was horrible for ratings.
    Last edited by Busyman™; 04-15-2007 at 05:55 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

2. Movies & TV   -   #12
    DefX's Avatar Macula.Lutea. BT Rep: +24BT Rep +24BT Rep +24BT Rep +24BT Rep +24
    One not-so-recent show that got cancelled that made lots of folks miserable is "Freaks and Geeks".

One friend of mine is still grieving about it.

3. Movies & TV   -   #13
    Cheese's Avatar Poster
    It's sad when a show is cancelled before its story is told (ie Firefly) but some shows just go on for too long and taint what was a good show. 24 and Lost are pale shadows of their former glory now. Same for Family Guy, Simpsons, and Scrubs. Angel and Buffy (two of my favourites) outstayed their welcomes by about two series each as well.

Commercially it all makes sense (flog the dead horse until not enough people are watching to sell ad space, etc) but artisically you're left with too much filler and no killer.
    Last edited by Cheese; 04-15-2007 at 06:06 PM.

4. Movies & TV   -   #14
    Quote Originally Posted by Cheese View Post
    It's sad when a show is cancelled before its story is told (ie Firefly) but some shows just go on for too long and taint what was a good show. 24 and Lost are pale shadows of their former glory now. Same for Family Guy, Simpsons, and Scrubs. Angel and Buffy (two of my favourites) outstayed their welcomes by about two series each as well.

Commercially it all makes sense (flog the dead horse until not enough people are watching to sell ad space, etc) but artisically you're left with too much filler and no killer.
    The problem is that usually the opinions of those that think the shows stink are in hindsight and of the minority.

I imagine there were many that thought the X-Files should have stopped much earlier (it lasted 9 yrs) or that CSI should have been cut already (it's in it's 7th year and this one is absolutely awesome).

You say flog a dead horse but obviously it isn't dead.

Now there are shows that were just absolute masterpieces like Babylon 5 (my favorite sci-fi series ever) but I wouldn't rule out someone making a Babylon 6 if the story was right.

I'm pissed that the Crusade wasn't finished. I wanted to know more about the Apocalypse Box and whatnot.

5. Movies & TV   -   #15
    Cheffy's Avatar Slut up ! BT Rep: +4
    Seems like more and more are expected of the shows.
    Perhaps become its easier selling expensive commercials to a brand now show, and the if the show gets bad ratings the commercial value falls.
    But it pisses me off that they start like 10 new shows that get cut right in the middle, whiteout any ending what so ever. Just ops, sorry you did not not 500million viewers on your pilot, guess we have to cut you in 3 or 4 more eps, and another show can take your spot instead.
    My nightmare was Farscape, it did not get its final season, it was suppose to end after 5 seasons, and season for ended with "To be continued" But thankfully the made peacekeeper wars. But i think it would have been alot better to get the entire series.

6. Movies & TV   -   #16
    mr. nails's Avatar m@D @n!m3 BT Rep: +1
    only shows that "annoyed" myself for being cancelled was like said futurama when we ALL should know by now that the simpsons shoulda been cancelled 10 years ago. that show is crap now. and the like said again is firefly. i dug that film. as for that i don't really watch tv for it's mostly all crap soap operas.
    Alamo Drafthouse!

Last Game Completed: Aliens: Colonial Marines (PC) 10-13-13
    Now Playing: Paper Mario 64
    Total Games Completed: 503

7. Movies & TV   -   #17
    Snee's Avatar Error xɐʇuʎs BT Rep: +1
    Space: Above and Beyond and Firefly are shows I'd have liked to have had some closure on.

At least Firefly became a movie (and hopefully eventually a series of movies at that).

Another thing I hate when it comes to cancellations, are the shows that aren't allowed to run at all, just one pilot and then that's it. I still think Global Frequency could have worked, for instance.

Also: it's one thing to have your favourite show cancelled, and quite another to have the story left hanging on top of the cancellation. The latter sucks pretty badly.
    Last edited by Snee; 04-17-2007 at 12:08 PM.

8. Movies & TV   -   #18
    Quote Originally Posted by Snee View Post
    Space: Above and Beyond and Firefly are shows I'd have liked to have had some closure on.

At least Firefly became a movie (and hopefully eventually a series of movies at that).

Another thing I hate when it comes to cancellations, are the shows that aren't allowed to run at all, just one pilot and then that's it. I still think Global Frequency could have worked, for instance.

Also: it's one thing to have your favourite show cancelled, and quite another to have the story left hanging on top of the cancellation. The latter sucks pretty badly.
    Thanks for reminding me. I going to get Space Above & Beyond on DVD....that and Earth 2.

9. Movies & TV   -   #19
    Firefly!

10. Movies & TV   -   #20
    WHRST's Avatar immortalis BT Rep: +13BT Rep +13BT Rep +13
    Quote Originally Posted by Ghent View Post
    Firefly!
    that was fox problem, they screwed up the ep order

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast