Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Would you be content if graphics stopped improving?

Would you be content if graphics stopped improving?
    People who are responsible for the graphics of a game, are different from the ones who are responsible for the gameplay. So it wouldnt make much difference anyway.
    True, but I doubt that the teams working on gameplay, storyboard & musical scores, haves as much time and $$ allocated than visual devellopement team.

The Wii could be the next DS. In term of sucess. They use the very same approach. Interactivity instead of horses power. Simple and fun games rather than mega-productions.

2. Games   -   #12
    Busyman™'s Avatar Use Logic Or STFU!
    Quote Originally Posted by Cheese View Post
    The Wii, and its runaway success story, is a sign for the good that people want more from games than just good graphics, it's easily the most innovative console to come out for a long time and hopefully the game makers will start really innovating the things they can do with the controllers.

And there are games out there that are hugely popular that don't rely on uber-graphics. Civilization, Sims, Football Manager, etc.

I like good graphics as well and I look forward to the DX10 games when they come out. I'm sure Crysis is going to look great on a high-end PC (not any of the consoles of course they're either not powerful enough or it'll look like shit on them) but I'm more excited by the interesting gaming prospects like Spore and Wii.

Even with the best graphics a crap game is well...crap. Personally, if a game is good (like say STALKER with its hawt AI) I stop noticing that my character's individual hair strands aren't rendered or that AA isn't set to 16x or that water isn't really realistic.
    I think the Wii is a great con. Make a new controller but sell an entire system.

$250 BAM!

As far as innovation, I saw the same with the Xavix yeeeeaaarssss ago.
    Did you buy one yet? Everyone I know that has one has used it in party settings but it has weared thin otherwise. We played it a lot when a group of us went to the mountains.

Back at home though, I'm mostly on the 360 and PC. It seems because it sold so much that maybe third party develop will jump on. That's a great sign.

Ultimately though I will relegate the Wii to niche games and nothing more. If I wanna drive, give me a racing wheel.....shoot, give me a light gun....bowl or hit baseballs, thennnnn give me a Wiimote.

Stalker was a fizzle for me. It isn't a bad game, no no, but it is just well, disappointing. I thought it was going to be that "killer" game.

3. Games   -   #13
    SirGray's Avatar .:Lucky:.™
    Quote Originally Posted by Busyman™ View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Cheese View Post
    The Wii, and its runaway success story, is a sign for the good that people want more from games than just good graphics, it's easily the most innovative console to come out for a long time and hopefully the game makers will start really innovating the things they can do with the controllers.

And there are games out there that are hugely popular that don't rely on uber-graphics. Civilization, Sims, Football Manager, etc.

I like good graphics as well and I look forward to the DX10 games when they come out. I'm sure Crysis is going to look great on a high-end PC (not any of the consoles of course they're either not powerful enough or it'll look like shit on them) but I'm more excited by the interesting gaming prospects like Spore and Wii.

Even with the best graphics a crap game is well...crap. Personally, if a game is good (like say STALKER with its hawt AI) I stop noticing that my character's individual hair strands aren't rendered or that AA isn't set to 16x or that water isn't really realistic.
    I think the Wii is a great con. Make a new controller but sell an entire system.

$250 BAM!

As far as innovation, I saw the same with the Xavix yeeeeaaarssss ago.
    Did you buy one yet? Everyone I know that has one has used it in party settings but it has weared thin otherwise. We played it a lot when a group of us went to the mountains.

Back at home though, I'm mostly on the 360 and PC. It seems because it sold so much that maybe third party develop will jump on. That's a great sign.

Ultimately though I will relegate the Wii to niche games and nothing more. If I wanna drive, give me a racing wheel.....shoot, give me a light gun....bowl or hit baseballs, thennnnn give me a Wiimote.

Stalker was a fizzle for me. It isn't a bad game, no no, but it is just well, disappointing. I thought it was going to be that "killer" game.
    Ya S.t.a.l.k.e.r, Very dissapointing.
    KOS-MOS:"I have analyzed the situation,and by my current calculations I would say we are screwed."

4. Games   -   #14
    mr. nails's Avatar m@D @n!m3 BT Rep: +1
    u can NEVER want them to stop improving the grafx in games. i was happy with atari. lol, i was. then nintendo came out and it was pimp. etc. etc. now, dx10 makes games look incredible. we can only imagine what's to cum. @ least i can.
    Alamo Drafthouse!

Last Game Completed: Aliens: Colonial Marines (PC) 10-13-13
    Now Playing: Paper Mario 64
    Total Games Completed: 503

5. Games   -   #15
    SnnY's Avatar Error Syntax
    If the world of scientific development came to a grinding halt I imagine I would be quite upset.
    You and every other nub on the internets.

6. Games   -   #16
    Cheese's Avatar Poster
    I still want to see something like what we were promised with Radiant AI in Oblivion. I played this game called World of Warcraft because people said the AI was like really realistic but it turns out the NPCs in that are severely retarded and the game designers have never even heard of a spell-checker.

7. Games   -   #17
    Barbarossa's Avatar mostly harmless
    Graphics will be improved until they are indistinguishable from reality. That much is obvious.

Whether that will make for better games, I don't know.

8. Games   -   #18
    Cheese's Avatar Poster
    Quote Originally Posted by Barbarossa View Post
    Graphics will be improved until they are indistinguishable from reality. That much is obvious.
    Why stop there? The graphics in real life are quite crappy imo, and this feeling and smelling gimmick is over-rated (and quite gross at times).

9. Games   -   #19
    SnnY's Avatar Error Syntax
    Real-life doesn't have lens flares
    You and every other nub on the internets.

10. Games   -   #20
    Barbarossa's Avatar mostly harmless
    Quote Originally Posted by SnnY View Post
    Real-life doesn't have lens flares
    squirt fairy liquid in your eyes, that's the trick.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast