Page 1 of 5 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: This Forum

sArA's Avatar Ex-Moderatererer
    Ok...well, I thought I would start a topic for discussion......

What do people consider the reasons for spending hour after hour sitting at a computer waiting for the next post of interest to appear on this forum often to contribute mere one line comments?

There are of course, many schools of thought on this topic...here is my penneth worth...

Some people genuinely do not get out much for whatever reason, some due to a lack of mobility, others because they have home based responsibilities, and yet others because they have no other outlet for their opinions. In some cases, there is a genuine desire to aid others with problems, and they are the truly altruistic ones.

I come to this forum for a stimulating read, and to enter into the fray with people I would otherwise not meet. However, there is also an element of loneliness that means that if I was not here, I would be alone, at home with the kids in bed and no one to talk to. Is it sad that I have no social life at the moment? Will I continue to spend as much time online once I return to the UK in just over a week, and start to see friends I haven't seen for nearly a year? In which case, could it be said that this forum is a stop gap?

Having spent some considerable time making friends here however, has the original reason for my membership changed? Perhaps I will continue to read, comment and discuss, choosing to spend time with people I have come to find either intellectualy stimulating, amusing, interesting nice or nasty? I am not sure, I do know whether the time difference between the US and the UK will make posting 'live' more difficult leading to a reduction in my contribution.

I am curious as to the reasons for others to post to this forum....why do spammers spam? Why do flamers flame? How much time do people actually spend here and are they avoiding doing other stuff that really ought to be attended to?

I guess this is a perfect opportunity for some people to pick up on my comments above and shout at me for saying that they have no social life...but I am just curious and offer merely some suggestions for participation.

So...this thread could include people giving their own reasons for posting plus an opportunity to provide their insight and opinion from a more theoretical perspective.

anyway.......

I will now stand back and watch for your responses.......

2. The Drawing Room   -   #2
    Tikibonbon's Avatar It'll Get Ya Drunk!
    don't have much of a life with work, school, bird, and scooter club around. plus forums are better for me because so many people just make me want to punch em in the mouth.
    http://jerome.galica.free.fr/dc%20comics/Green%20Lantern/GreenLantern_ION.gif

3. The Drawing Room   -   #3
    j2k4's Avatar en(un)lightened
    I expect I will end up with a few more posts on your thread, sara, but I feel compelled to give my answer to your question regarding the 'why people post the way they do':

I think it is a reasonably accurate indicator as to personality type; spammers are lonely, or attention seekers; flamers are bitter, or somehow dissatisfied; etc., etc..........

I enjoy the debate and the genuineness of the give and take amongst the ever-widening crowd of regulars; kinda like a great pub, but without the spilled drinks, yes?

We will understand if your posting habits change once you get home; just check in when you can, OK?
    "Researchers have already cast much darkness on the subject, and if they continue their investigations, we shall soon know nothing at all about it."

-Mark Twain

4. The Drawing Room   -   #4
    clocker's Avatar Shovel Ready
    Interesting topic, Sara.

For me, participation in the forum and getting a computer/ going online were concurrent.
    My niece introduced me to Kazaa in Nov. while I was in Chicago visiting. For Christmas I treated myself to a computer and by Feb. I was ghosting around the forum. After hovering about for a month I registered.
    I have no other experience to compare/contrast this to.
    It's been a very interesting place to visit.
    I've learned a lot about how to manipulate and maneuver a pc here. I've learned about how much I have yet to learn.
    I discovered today what "imho" means.
    I've been exposed to software and techniques, websites and artists, shortcuts and no-no's.
    Since I work alone and at odd hours (typically 3am till noonish) and am single and by nature solitary, this is my opportunity to interact with people. Intellectually, humorously, seriously or just silently. I find the imprecation to " get a life" invalid. I have a life, and right now I like just fine, thank you. That might change- who knows, I could become overwhelmingly obsessed with whitewater rafting or darts or jogging- but til that happens this place is a smorgasboard of opportunity. I can engage in discussion with some of the most literate, thoughtful and engaging minds I've ever met, I can be amused and even laugh out loud at the clever turn of phrase or twisted observation ( thank you, hobbes), I can gain perspective from people from around the world, or I can go to the guestroom and feel good by sharing what little knowledge I may have (and where they don't know that I just learned it yesterday).

So if I put off reading a book or taking a walk or (God forfend&#33 working, well, so what? I'm enjoying myself and life's too short.
    The time will come ,no doubt, when my time here grows less, but I will remember where I began. You ALWAYS remember your first.
    "I am the one who knocks."- Heisenberg

5. The Drawing Room   -   #5
    MagicNakor's Avatar On the Peripheral
    Well, I hang around because I live in, quite literally, the middle of nowhere. It's a village (yes, a village, not a town) up in the mountains. The only social life I get I have to drive an hour-hour and a half to see my friends. So I do that every other week.

Unfortunately, my only debate-partner moved out of the country, and most of the people I'm around don't do it too well. Not to say they're unintelligent, just that they aren't inclined in that fashion. And then I come here, and see a board full of Republicans.

Well, it's amusing, at least.

things are quiet until hitler decides he'd like to invade russia
    so, he does
    the russians are like "OMG WTF D00DZ, STOP TKING"
    and the germans are still like "omg ph34r n00bz"
    the russians fall back, all the way to moscow
    and then they all begin h4xing, which brings on the russian winter
    the germans are like "wtf, h4x"
    -- WW2 for the l33t

6. The Drawing Room   -   #6
    Poster
    hehehe
    I'm stuck at home taking meds

But if I wasn't I'm shure I would make it here Daily!

7. The Drawing Room   -   #7
    Poster
    I like to come here to catch-up on what's going on in the p2p world. Keep up-to-date on the latest versions of file sharing software, I’m always looking to find different ways of doing things.

I work night shifts and most often on my days off it's hard to get to sleep before 3 or 4 so this helps to pass the time.

I'm also trying to promote some of my own content, like the Medfile in the ebooks section.

Reading others views & posts can also be a source of entertainment . . .and some can be quite informative.

8. The Drawing Room   -   #8
    Its magic baby!
    I thought i would bring this back from the depths because it seems relevant.

Personally i use this forum (too much) as a weird social life, because i moved into university halls and left alot of close friends in my home area so i don't see them to much, i have a very active life and in many ways this is my way of escaping from it.

When your life starts to suffer from doing anything too much then you need to descide to make a change. Personally i find that my college work suffers and that is not really acceptable.

I also notice that a number of members leave by saying they need to sort out some stuff in their lives and i wonder if this relates to their use of this board.

I have also learn't alot of interesting stuff here about the internet and filesharing and i have met some pretty descent people.

I would be interested to know what others think about this subject.
    Wiz.

9. The Drawing Room   -   #9
    I think of this as a separate and distinct part of my social life. I have an active work and family life which fulfills me. However when I come here I can discuss things with a wide and interesting demographic, which otherwise would not be available to me.

There are people here, with whom I have shared thoughts, who I will never meet in what is glibly described as the real world. They have enriched my experience and I thank them for it. I feel I am a more rounded person for having spent time here. Both literally and figuratively.

10. The Drawing Room   -   #10
    Busyman's Avatar Use Logic Or STFU!!!
    Personally I like the debate.
    If I was banned tomorrow I wouldn't lose a wink of sleep.
    There are wayyy more important things to do.

I think a wake up call to anyone is to NOT come here for about three days on purpose.
    If you can't help but come here then you need to focus more on real life stuff.
    I understand if you are bed ridden, disabled, or out in West BubbleFuck. If not, you should make a conscious and concerted effort to upgrade you real life and not wallow in your online personality.

Go workout
    Learn an instrument
    Make new friends
    Read a book
    Learn how to put brakes on your own car
    Wash your damn car!!! It's filthy!!!

Do something!!!!
    Silly bitch, your weapons cannot harm me. Don't you know who I am? I'm the Juggernaut, Bitchhhh!

Flies Like An Arrow, Flies Like An Apple
    ---12323---4552-----
    2133--STRENGTH--8310
    344---5--5301---3232

Page 1 of 5 1234 ... LastLast