Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Scare Tactics?

Poster
    I had my ISP provider call me yesterday and forward an e-mail they had received from a firm doing business from a major movie maker. Apparently they had the exact date, time, kazaa username, movie title, my ip number, etc. and claimed I had downloaded a copyrighted movie from Kazaa. They basically threatened my isp provider with a law suit if they did not deny service to me on any computer I use. I have never downloaded a movie, but came home from work and checked my computer for this file and called them back. I was honest and admitted I do listen to music through kazaa, though. At that point my isp provider representative checked my ip number again and apologized because he had called the wrong person, gotten the wrong ip number!! Has anyone actually been bumped from their isp yet for doing this? Criminetely! It scared me. I had visions of headlines and being offered up to make an example of.

2. File Sharing   -   #2
    CornerPocket's Avatar Retired
    Check out the Search feature, many topics about copyright infringements discussed here.

Like this...

and this...

more here

one more.

You will find several here in 'Filesharing' and in the 'Guest' section as well. As for anyone actually getting bumed, don't think any member here can say they have, but let's see what they say. Would advised to run PeerGuardian along side your firewall for added security........

Have fun reading!
    "8-ball Corner Pocket"

3. File Sharing   -   #3
    Poster
    Had they actually disconnected you -- even temporarily, you might have been able to weasel them out of a free month's/year's worth of service once they realized their mistake.

4. File Sharing   -   #4
    Guillaume's Avatar Kentish old lady BT Rep: +8BT Rep +8
    Originally posted by Clevertoes@3 June 2003 - 12:58
    I was honest and admitted I do listen to music through kazaa, though.
    Not only the ISP made a mistake! You shouldn't have admitted anything...
    But your "adventure" ends well, so...

5. File Sharing   -   #5
    Jibbler's Avatar proud member of MDS
    I'm surprised to hear that they complained because of your downloading, and not your uploading.
    Proud member of MDS

6. File Sharing   -   #6
    Clevertoes wrote:

I was honest and admitted I do listen to music through kazaa, though.
    Oops.

At that point my isp provider representative checked my ip number again and apologized because he had called the wrong person, gotten the wrong ip number!!
    It's entirely possible that your ISP keeps a list of IP numbers that generate more bandwidth usage than others (especially download bandwidth which tends to be faster usage than upload bandwidth) ... a "watch" list, if you will. They could have contacted you in this manner, knowing you hadn't downloaded a movie, to (1) see if you'd admit to P2P use, and (2) give you an impetus to scale back your downloading activity. A sneaky tactic, if true, but not entirely out of character nowadays.

7. File Sharing   -   #7
    QUOTE: "Would advised to run PeerGuardian along side your firewall for added security........"

Can you explain how this program helps? And where can one get it (' tried a kazaa search with no luck).

Thanks.

8. File Sharing   -   #8
    DarkBlizzard's Avatar Poster
    Originally posted by Digital Jammer@4 June 2003 - 07:48
    QUOTE: "Would advised to run PeerGuardian along side your firewall for added security........"

Can you explain how this program helps? And where can one get it (' tried a kazaa search with no luck).

Thanks.
    ......what a noob ....just click the QUOTE button ....dont type Quote and then write it....I just love tellin people they are noobs....its part of my life B)

9. File Sharing   -   #9
    I knew hoe to do that. But I only wanted certain words to be quoted. I didnt want to republish the entire post.

10. File Sharing   -   #10
    Get Peer Guardian at

http://www.methlabs.org/

And get the bulk update for IP's if you don't know about firewalls, will save you some effort.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast