Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: bumper accidents...

SHUVT's Avatar Poster BT Rep: +30BT Rep +30BT Rep +30BT Rep +30BT Rep +30BT Rep +30
    Quote Originally Posted by DefianceX View Post
    But i heard you cant file a claim if theres no police report right?

You can still file a claim with your insurance company, even if there is no police report. Depending on the State that you live in, there is a period of time that you have to file it in. You have to evaluate if it is worth it though. If you never obtained the other drivers info, so that your insurance company can go after his insurance, then it will most likely go on yours. Since you most likely carry a deductable of no less the $250, and most likely $500 you will end up coming out of pocket for the minor scratch anyways. This is why you might as well just take care of it on your own instead of having it on your insurance record and having to worry about your rates going up after your next fender bender.
    I haven't taken a beating like that since I opened my first issue of Hustler!
    The World is a Sick Place and I'm a Happy Guy!

2. Lounge   -   #12
    Virtualbody1234's Avatar Forum Star BT Rep: +2
    Here in the Provence of Quebec, Canada we have what's called a Joint Report. It's a form that we keep in our cars to fill out at small accident where no injury is involved.

http://www.infoinsurance.ca/en/automobile/report.aspx

3. Lounge   -   #13
    SHUVT's Avatar Poster BT Rep: +30BT Rep +30BT Rep +30BT Rep +30BT Rep +30BT Rep +30
    I have seen similar reports in Europe.

4. Lounge   -   #14
    DefX's Avatar Macula.Lutea. BT Rep: +24BT Rep +24BT Rep +24BT Rep +24BT Rep +24
    Quote Originally Posted by SHUVT View Post

You can still file a claim with your insurance company, even if there is no police report. Depending on the State that you live in, there is a period of time that you have to file it in. You have to evaluate if it is worth it though. If you never obtained the other drivers info, so that your insurance company can go after his insurance, then it will most likely go on yours. Since you most likely carry a deductable of no less the $250, and most likely $500 you will end up coming out of pocket for the minor scratch anyways. This is why you might as well just take care of it on your own instead of having it on your insurance record and having to worry about your rates going up after your next fender bender.

So even the most minor of scratches as in my original question, you would still get the other driver's info and maybe settle it with him and make him pay for it? Sometimes even a bump doesnt even cause a visible scatch while you're there in the middle of the highway. What then? I mean how can u ask someone to pay for it if theres no visible damage but at the same time u feel rotten just letting him/her get away with it.

5. Lounge   -   #15
    I think it is up to the person and in the end what your time is worth. For me, I would give the assclown the stinkeye, middle finger and probably a few choice words. In the end my time would be worth way more than dealing with all the shit in the middle of the freeway and calling insurance companies and trying to get a $50 buff and polish done to my rear bumper. Then again i am not driving a mercedes or $80,000 car. If that was the case... well lets just say you would not want to be the bloke who was daydreaming and bumped into me.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12