Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Going vista, need hard drive advice plz

tesco's Avatar woowoo
    Quote Originally Posted by zaphodiv View Post
    A service pack for vista is likely to be issued this year. I'd allow a couple of GB for that. 4Gb free seems a bit low to me for the long term.
    I didn't say he needs it as small as mine...but definately not as big as 40gb.

2. Software & Hardware   -   #12
    lynx's Avatar .
    I'm not sure if you can disable NCQ, and there's no need to do so. I just don't think you will see any benefit from it.

I suggested 40GB assuming that was going to be for OS and installed software. Since you didn't specify what the use was I allowed plenty of space for apps. I've got 6GB free out of 20GB with XP, including all my apps (but excluding games). I know Vista takes up more space than XP, but if you don't have many apps that probably balances out.

It is probably a good idea to move things like browser cache, emails etc out of the default area (which is part of "My Documents") onto another partition. Doing things like that can improve start up speed. It also means that if you have to rebuild your system partition, or your profile gets corrupted, then you won't lose that data.
    Political correctness is based on the principle that it's possible to pick up a turd by the clean end.

3. Software & Hardware   -   #13
    ZZDMAN's Avatar Dude!...Sweet!
    K my comp is now vistafied

I ended up creating 3 partitions:
    33gig system
    88gig installed game
    177gig images,music etc

and i ended up leaving it in IDE mode cause after changing to AHCI, i noticed that there aren't any options to disable NCQ.

thanks guys
    Intel E6400 w/Scythe Infinity @ 3.2ghz on Gigabyte DS3 - Patriot 2x1gb @ 800mhz (4-4-4-12, 1.9v) - Sapphire Radeon x1900xt 256mb @ Stock - OCZ GameXstream 600w

4. Software & Hardware   -   #14
    mbucari1's Avatar Poster BT Rep: +35BT Rep +35BT Rep +35BT Rep +35BT Rep +35BT Rep +35BT Rep +35
    I've installed it with 9GB HD space.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12