Your Ad Here Your Ad Here
Results 1 to 8 of 8

Thread: Cant RMA Seagate HD from HP PC?

  1. #1
    S!X's Avatar L33T Member BT Rep: +5
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Posts
    7,734
    Here's the deal. As some of you already know, the 450W OCZ Modstream PSU I had in my HP pc shorted out and took my hard drive with it. I've tried entering the details of the drive on seagate's site to see if I can RMA it but apparently not as as you can see from the picture below. I've already phoned the place of purchase and they said they can't do anything since it was an after market PSU that caused the problem. They also stated that they would want the complete pc brought it so they can look at it, if they were to do anything. That obviously isn't going to happen because I'm using various parts from it in my new rig. So am I screwed now or what?



    LOL I was just talking to an online HP rep and they say the computer is no longer under warranty (obviously). They want over $300 for a new hard drive! !!! Here's the quote:
    Mavrick N: The cost of the "250GB Serial ATA (SATA-3G) hard drive - 7200 RPM, 3.5-inch form factor" is $315.45.

    Mavrick N: It is the genuine part from HP and the cost includes shipping and tax for the hard drive.
    Last edited by S!X; 04-21-2007 at 10:02 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

  2. Software & Hardware   -   #2
    lynx's Avatar .
    Join Date
    Sep 2002
    Location
    Yorkshire, England
    Posts
    9,810
    Screwed by HP?

    Who woulda thought it.
    .
    Political correctness is based on the principle that it's possible to pick up a turd by the clean end.

  3. Software & Hardware   -   #3
    S!X's Avatar L33T Member BT Rep: +5
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Posts
    7,734
    Quote Originally Posted by lynx View Post
    Screwed by HP?

    Who woulda thought it.
    Lesson learned: NEVER BUY PRE-BUILT SHIT. If I had more technical knowhow earlier on I would of went custom from the get go.

  4. Software & Hardware   -   #4
    clocker's Avatar Shovel Ready
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Posts
    15,388
    Welcome to the world of OEM.

    When HP calls Seagate to order drives, Seagate says "Sure, we'll give you a smokin deal on lots of 10,000- "X" dollars per unit but you assume warranty liability".
    HP says "Sure, no prob" and then sells the PC to you with a convoluted, small print explanation of coverage which you ignore till the drive fails.

    If the drive fails, only then do you discover that the 5 year retail warranty doesn't apply and HP will bend you over for a replacement.
    Know why that drive now cost $300 from HP?
    Because they use that usurious price to cover the costs of the drives that did get replaced under their warranty and also because a surprising percentage of people believe that they HAVE to replace a failed part with a "genuine HP replacement part" to maintain the warranty or insure compatability.

    LP, you didn't get screwed by HP, you just got the chance to play the great game of OEM and got spanked by the pros.
    "I am the one who knocks."- Heisenberg

  5. Software & Hardware   -   #5
    S!X's Avatar L33T Member BT Rep: +5
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Posts
    7,734
    Quote Originally Posted by clocker View Post
    LP, you didn't get screwed by HP, you just got the chance to play the great game of OEM and got spanked by the pros.
    Heh, I sure as hell ain't playing their games anymore. Aftermarket parts generally have a longer warranty period than any pre-built pc right? If i'm not getting spanked by HP then it's by OCZ. They're been dog fucking with my RMA, saying it's been sent out, then it hasn't been sent out cause they didn't have any units available and whatnot. It's been almost a month now since I RMA'd that dead psu and now they've supposedly got a unit shipped out on Friday. We'll see about that.

    Quote Originally Posted by OCZ Rep
    Ok...I heard back from them.

    Sure enough, it didn't go when I said it did, they were out of 700W GXS come Monday when they tried to ship.

    An 850W GameXstream is invoiced and shipping today.

  6. Software & Hardware   -   #6
    clocker's Avatar Shovel Ready
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Posts
    15,388
    Quote Originally Posted by Linkin Park View Post
    Heh, I sure as hell ain't playing their games anymore. Aftermarket parts generally have a longer warranty period than any pre-built pc right?
    Sometimes, sometimes not- so be careful.

    Look at AMD chips at Newegg for instance- you'll see both OEM and retail of the same CPU and the only apparent difference is the OEM doesn't come with the heatsink.
    "Well" you say, "I'm going to using my sexy new Zalman sink anyway, so I'll save a few bucks and get the bare chip".

    The real difference is the OEM chip is warrantied for one year and the retail is covered for three.

    BTW, just FYI...selling "extended warranties" is the single biggest profit area for the big OEM manufacturers. It's a very competitive market and they have cut margins on the actual hardware down to the bone and have to make it up somewhere...
    "I am the one who knocks."- Heisenberg

  7. Software & Hardware   -   #7
    S!X's Avatar L33T Member BT Rep: +5
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Posts
    7,734
    Thanks for that info clocker. The hard drive I have now has a 5yr manufacturer warranty (Seagate) on it, and I'm pretty sure it's an OEM because it didn't come in any box just a anti static bag. That's the same warranty period as the retail boxes aren't they?

  8. Software & Hardware   -   #8
    zapjb's Avatar Computer Abuser BT Rep: +3
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Posts
    3,694
    Quote Originally Posted by Linkin Park View Post
    Thanks for that info clocker. The hard drive I have now has a 5yr manufacturer warranty (Seagate) on it, and I'm pretty sure it's an OEM because it didn't come in any box just a anti static bag. That's the same warranty period as the retail boxes aren't they?
    Yes. Only difference is usually no shiny box, cables or maual.

    But watch out for any drive in an external case. They come with warranties as short as 90 days. But usually a year. Versus 3-5 years.

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •