Thread: Linksys Router/firewall Configuration

Does anyone know the proper way to configure a Linksys router to work with Kazaalite? I have searched the forums and the web, but only found people who were "scratching the surface" in regards to this problem.

I added a Linksys Router in front of my DSL connection for protection(which is very good by the way) and alas, my Kazaalite speeds have been reduced to those of a 56k. I know it's the router because when I disconnect it, my speeds return up to normal, so please don't respond by saying that it's my ISP or the download accelerator, etc.

I know the port for Kazaalite is 1214 and you need to configure it to forward to the IP address of the machine you are using. The problem is, I'm not sure that I am doing this correctly(I will definitely post screen shots if I ever figure this out). I also tried to enable DMZ(I realize this compromises security), which I thought would open up all ports, but that didn't seem to work either. Im sure there are folks out there who have figured this out?

I appreciate this community's willingness to help, but please don't respond unless you have experience in this complicated matter.
    Thanks very much in advance, -Mike-

2. Software & Hardware   -   #2
    by the way, here is my version build:

k++ 2.0.3v

April 18th, 2003

3. Software & Hardware   -   #3
    I wrote a post on this some time ago, as I had the same problem with my D-Link, simply put you must forward the port, most likely 1214 if you have not changed it , and enter the router IP, 192.xxx.x.x. Oddly, you might think, I figured this out when I called the maker of the router and asked tech support what to do, I said "my KaZaa sucks", and they were more than happy to help. They also mentioned to change my MTU settings which I now have at 1452. Let me know if this helps, or not.

4. Software & Hardware   -   #4
    Any resolution to this? I probably have the same router as you and I wasn't sure if I should mess with any of that. Without any port forwarding some things that I download just fly - I have hit even up to 150Kb/s, but some other things just download at a snails pace, sometimes as small as 0.05Kb/s. Since some things download rather well sometimes, I am not convinced that port forwarding is necessary. Let me know what you think / find out.

5. Software & Hardware   -   #5
    It mad a big difference for me after testing going back and forth with and without. I had files going on days slow, then when I switched, they were done within hours. This was part of the theory I came up with after watching my downloads very closely both ways...
    My theory regarding routers applies to even those that don't have routers, I believe, such as those on 56k (RJ11).

The conclusion of studying my connection with the router (indirect) and without the router (direct) seems simple.

With the Router (ports not forwarded)
    When a "packet" of data was complete it did not return to the same user (IP) to continue, since the connection takes longer (with the router) it allows others to "cut" in front of me, leaving me in quene or searching. Though I may return to the user (since the IP is stored), only if his upload slots are unused. Though, most likely I will have to wait my turn again, considering the immense traffic on this network, not to mention many of us using speed up tools just waiting to "cut" in front. But this takes forever getting a "packet", then waiting, one at a time. Don't forget 2 users behind a fw can only dl from each other if they are on the same SN.

Without the Router
    After getting a "packet" of data I immediately return to the same user, since I do not lag returning to the connection, no one "cuts" in front of me! I then am able to pile more sources on top of each other as I am not dropping any of them while going from "packet"to "packet", thus making my speeds soar.

So what does this have to with 56kers.

Simple if you have a poor connection (indirect), like problems such as line noise, then others will "cut" in front of you.

Solution, considering this is the issue...
    Check your connection, make sure your modem is not affected by items such as...
    Halogen lamps, Fluorescent lights, Scanners, 900 MHz cordless phones, Cell Phones, Ham radios, AM radios, Modem, fax, or other device on the line, Microwave oven, Bad Phone cord, Home security/Alarm system, The computer itself if the modem is on top of or beside it(within 3 feet), a radio station or tv station near by, a phone based door bell buzzer, automatic doors like at the mini mart in direct line of sight of ur home
    Other Options.
    Use software that is direct in loading from user to user such as IRC, instead of taking "packets" from multiple user like on FastTrack. Also, maybe try eMule or others. Try a variety and see what works for you.

Lastly it seems the majority of complaints come from 56kers and those that are fw, such routers. My solution was simple, I just did port forwarding.

6. Software & Hardware   -   #6
    Poster
    Putting in a router locks you out of MUCH of those who are on Kazaa -- you will only be able to access files shared by people NOT on a router/behind a firewall due to your virtual LAN ip (typically 192.168.x.x) conflicting with your real INTERNET ip.

A very tiny partial workaround is to change your LAN's ip to something in the 10.x.x.x range or even 172.0-31.x.x range and FORWARD the appropriate port 1214 (or whatever port it uses) to Kazaa++ -- but that STILL will NOT remove the inability to connect to other firewalled/routered Kazaa users.

Bridging the ip directly to the Kazaa computer WILL work, but may result in the rest of the lan NOT having ANY internet access.

For Kazaa to have the greatest amount of access, it needs a real internet ip on the computer it's running on -- so if your ISP gives out more than 1 ip with the connection, dedicate 1 to the Kazaa computer.

7. Software & Hardware   -   #7
    That is not correct. Many people have downloaded my shares and I have always been behind a router.

Your router is assigned an IP, then the router goes to work and forwards the correct packet request on to which ever computer is requesting it, i.e.: the specific computer that is connected to and running KaZaA. I have port forwarding enabled, but I have seen no difference in enabling forwarded port and non-port forwarding. I still get varying download speeds either way - from the miniscule 0.02 KB/s into the 200s KB/s in both configurations. I imagine that it would help more if you had a ton of computers hooked up to the router, but with my 2 it makes no difference.