13 92.86%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: purple heart

vidcc's Avatar there is no god
    Copperas Cove man to give president his Purple Heart
    Monday, April 16, 2007

By Joyce May

Killeen Daily Herald

COPPERAS COVE – History will be made today when Copperas Cove resident Bill Thomas and his wife, Georgia, present President George W. Bush with a Purple Heart at the Oval Office.

Thomas said he and his wife came up with the unprecedented idea to present the president with the Purple Heart over breakfast one morning a few months ago as they discussed the verbal attacks, both foreign and domestic, the commander in chief has withstood during his time in office.

"We feel like emotional wounds and scars are as hard to carry as physical wounds," Thomas said.

The medal was awarded to Thomas on Dec. 18, 1965, following injuries he sustained while serving in heavy combat with the 173rd Airborne Brigade in Vietnam.

It is one of three he was awarded during his service.
    source

Now of course this veteran has the right to do what he wants with his medals, however given the right wings fondness of questioning the combat military service and medals of democratic candidates, should the president say "thanks but no thanks"?

Question is active and retroactive.
    Last edited by vidcc; 04-23-2007 at 05:53 PM.

it’s an election with no Democrats, in one of the whitest states in the union, where rich candidates pay $35 for your votes. Or, as Republicans call it, their vision for the future.

2. The Drawing Room   -   #2
    Snee's Avatar Error xɐʇuʎs BT Rep: +1
    I don't think Bush deserves any sort of medal from what I've seen of what he's done. Just for the hell of it, however, I had a look at how a wound or injury that would make someone qualified to recieve a purple heart is defined, and I can't say I found emotional scarring or such on the list.

In a sense, I think giving Bush that medal is an insult to people, or the survivors of people, who earned that medal.

Bush has started wars, and is thus indirectly the cause of such injuries that earns people the medal.

All in all I think it's stupid.

Having said that, there's no law against it, so

I think I'd have felt more strongly about it if I'd known people who died in Iraq, for instance. Or if it had been my country.

3. The Drawing Room   -   #3
    bigboab's Avatar Poster BT Rep: +1
    It is not his to wear. It is still the property of the veteran who presented it to him, anyways it would clash with his black one.

The Purple Heart is presented for:-

1. "For being wounded in action in any war or campaign under conditions which entitle the wearing of a wound chevron."

2. "For those persons who perform any singularly meritorious act of extraordinary fidelity or essential service."
    He is the Commander In Chief, I am surprised some idiot has not used that as an excuse to officially presented him with a Purple Heart.
    The best way to keep a secret:- Tell everyone not to tell anyone.

4. The Drawing Room   -   #4
    Busyman™'s Avatar Use Logic Or STFU!
    This is the dumbest thing I have ever heard. Either this guy is partisan or simply trying to "protect" the President.

It's like he's giving the President a lollipop to make him feel better cuz everyone laughed at Bush for wearing polka dots with stripes and three ringed socks hiked up over his jeans.

This reminds me of how Fox News hypes up everything that's pro-Repub or anti-Dem (or makes stuff up).

This reminds me of how the Republicans changed National Airport to Reagan National Airport.

I'm not voting cuz there shoulda been a "Fuck No" option.

5. The Drawing Room   -   #5
    MaxOverlord's Avatar Simplify
    I'm hoping this is a joke. Kinda confused. Just what exactly did Bush do to deserve the Purple Heart? Its complete bullshit. People should shrug their shoulders and say "whats next?"
    Last edited by MaxOverlord; 04-23-2007 at 10:18 PM.

6. The Drawing Room   -   #6
    Busyman™'s Avatar Use Logic Or STFU!
    Quote Originally Posted by MaxOverlord View Post
    I'm hoping this is a joke. Kinda confused. Just what exactly did Bush do to deserve the Purple Heart?
    He took criticism, something partisans do give out too much.

7. The Drawing Room   -   #7
    Quote Originally Posted by Busyman™ View Post

I'm not voting cuz there shoulda been a "Fuck No" option.
    If it was an official honor I would possibly have worded the poll "strongly agree, agree, disagree, strongly disagree".

This is not the case though. This is a private citizen with his own property and he has the right to do this.

But it's how any president, especially in a time of war, should handle such an offer that I question.

It does seem that many Bush supporters think little of the award for people who actually fought in combat and were wounded (remember the purple band aids at the Bush presidential rallies?) so perhaps in their mind there is no problem.

In my mind a president should/should have thanked his supporter, but respectfully decline out of respect for those that earned one.
    Last edited by vidcc; 04-23-2007 at 10:35 PM.

it’s an election with no Democrats, in one of the whitest states in the union, where rich candidates pay $35 for your votes. Or, as Republicans call it, their vision for the future.

8. The Drawing Room   -   #8
    Barbarossa's Avatar mostly harmless
    If he's got any shred of decency in him he'll respectfully decline the offer

9. The Drawing Room   -   #9
    popopot's Avatar To Me, To You BT Rep: +5
    I voted no because if he is getting it for withstanding verbal attacks, it wasn't him who withstood them but the muppets telling him what to say down his earpiece who effectively withstood them and retorted. He's just the ugly face that fronts the circus.

10. The Drawing Room   -   #10
    seems that Bush accepted

Cove veteran presents Purple Heart to President Bush
    By Joyce May

The Cove Herald

WASHINGTON – Bill and Georgia Thomas reported they were elated Monday when they met in the Oval Office with President George W. Bush to present him with a Purple Heart.

"We were just absolutely bowled over. Without reservation, it was one of the highlights of our life. He was such a gracious host," Thomas said. "It was just an incredible, incredible experience."

The couple was able to meet with President Bush for about 20 minutes to present him with one of three Purple Hearts that Bill Thomas received during his service in Vietnam.

"He said he didn't feel like he had earned it," Thomas said, noting the president looked thinner in person than on television.

The Thomases also were able to meet Barney, the president's Scottish terrier, and tour the White House Rose Garden.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast