Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567

Thread: Warm weather at last!

j2k4's Avatar en(un)lightened
    Breath is 'bated, and all that.

I can identify with the sore back, etc., especially with long-nosed vehicles.

I prefer my computer-reclamation project, to be honest, but I haven't even had time to finish that, with this other goings-on.

Still looking for an employee; maybe two or three.
    "Researchers have already cast much darkness on the subject, and if they continue their investigations, we shall soon know nothing at all about it."

-Mark Twain

2. Software & Hardware   -   #62
    lynx's Avatar .
    You may find the tubes are almost impossible to repair, but it should be possible to remove the two offending tubes. There are about 60 so losing a couple won't affect performance noticeably.

Looking at the old rad, I'd say that crud was picked up from the floor of the breaker's yard it was obtained from.

Quote Originally Posted by j2k4 View Post
    Still looking for an employee; maybe two or three.
    Sorry, we aren't running an employment service here.
    Political correctness is based on the principle that it's possible to pick up a turd by the clean end.

3. Software & Hardware   -   #63
    clocker's Avatar Shovel Ready
    Quote Originally Posted by j2k4 View Post
    Breath is 'bated, and all that.
    Unbate thy breath, Kev.
    New motor mounts installed this AM...certainly not a job I'd wish upon myself.
    Mark admitted that installing a set of stock mounts with the engine in situ was a first for him, usually the mounts are installed as the motor is being dropped into the bay or an aftermarket set is used.
    I had considered some "high performance" Delrin (or even solid aluminum) parts but was not willing to deal with the increased vibration they have to cause.

Mark's estimate of one hour for the job was only off by a factor of 2 1/2 and the combination of jacks and tools used was not something I would have been able to assemble in the driveway.
    Ultimately the exhaust had come off at the manifold, the engine jacked up at the bellhousing and the suspension subframe dropped- just to insert the mounts with their pesky studs.

All in all, a pretty crap way for him to begin his workweek but vastly entertaining for me, I must admit. Watching someone else deal with unexpectedly cantankerous projects- the kind I used to fearlessly undertake myself- was well worth the money.

Quote Originally Posted by lynx View Post
    Looking at the old rad, I'd say that crud was picked up from the floor of the breaker's yard it was obtained from.
    Cynical, but probably all too true.

I took the rad round to two repair shops after the motor work was completed.

The first wanted $75 to run a leak test (which involved dye and blacklight), after which they would quote me for the actual repair.
    We parted company.

The second shop was only interested in replacing the entire unit, which is the option I'm leaning towards anyway.
    Unfortunately, their warranty only applies if they perform the install and unlike the motor mounts, putting in the rad is a job I'm comfortable doing myself.

Then it was naptime, so the hunt shall continue anon.

Edit: The thread title "Warm weather at last!" now strikes me as humorous.
    After freezing my ass off all winter I now look back fondly at the cold as Denver has set three high temp records in the past week and we're looking at continued high 90's and possibly 100+ for the foreseeable future.
    This year we just didn't have much of a spring...went from "too damn cold" to "bloody f*ckin hot" without a gap.

I think it's global warming...what do you think, j2?
    Last edited by clocker; 06-25-2007 at 10:12 PM.
    "I am the one who knocks."- Heisenberg

4. Software & Hardware   -   #64
    j2k4's Avatar en(un)lightened
    Quote Originally Posted by clocker View Post
    I think it's global warming...what do you think, j2?
    The globe is warmer, I think.

Gonna scrape three digits here today...Mother Nature can be a bitch - however, my calculations indicate all is within more-or-less normal bounds.

I've seen much stranger things in my life, back when the hot air issuing from D.C. was not quite so voluminous or inane.
    "Researchers have already cast much darkness on the subject, and if they continue their investigations, we shall soon know nothing at all about it."

-Mark Twain

Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567