Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Cows Or Humans

Lamsey

I take it you find this amusing.

2. Lounge   -   #12
    Originally posted by insanebassman+4 June 2003 - 22:18--></span><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (insanebassman @ 4 June 2003 - 22:18)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin--smellycat@4 June 2003 - 14:56
    Imagine you were an alien,&nbsp; , and you were observing Earth.
    What would you see?

You would see one species enslaving all other species.
    Committing mass genocide.

Killing sentient beings for pleasure.

What would you conclude about that species?

What alien would you be refering to? The gentle, peace loving aliens?

Or the ones with the ability to deal with the harsh realities of inter-stellar travel, the nesecities of survival and the ability to see what is required to survive in an otherwise hostile environment?

Aliens do not have to be gentle. Our serial killers may be the ones they want to adopt due to cunning. Our true hunters because of the ability to kill when it is needed. Soldiers who efficiently follow orders to kill and destroy as they can follow orders through when it is considered a nesessity by the leaders. Aliens wil not have your values.

They may see a good proving ground for the traits they desire and detest the people who want peace and soft lives.

Just another view. [/b][/quote]
    What has either of these posts got to do with the subject.

3. Lounge   -   #13
    Ex-member
    Originally posted by insanebassman@4 June 2003 - 23:18
    What alien would you be refering to? The gentle, peace loving aliens?

Or the ones with the ability to deal with the harsh realities of inter-stellar travel, the nesecities of survival and the ability to see what is required to survive in an otherwise hostile environment?

Aliens do not have to be gentle. Our serial killers may be the ones they want to adopt due to cunning. Our true hunters because of the ability to kill when it is needed. Soldiers who efficiently follow orders to kill and destroy as they can follow orders through when it is considered a nesessity by the leaders. Aliens wil not have your values.

They may see a good proving ground for the traits they desire and detest the people who want peace and soft lives.

Just another view.
    Or perhaps they will see us as a barbaric, xenophobic race which is a danger that needs to be eliminated.

PB: I refer you to my revised post above.

4. Lounge   -   #14
    Originally posted by Lamsey+4 June 2003 - 22:17--></span><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (Lamsey @ 4 June 2003 - 22:17)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin--smellycat@4 June 2003 - 22:56
    What would you conclude about that species?

I&#39;d say it&#39;s time...

You guys should be grateful, summerlinda and I may yet save you from the men...

@PBMontgolfier: I view all sentient life as having an equal right to live.

Here&#39;s a question: a human vegetable (pardon me for the non-PC term) is less intelligent or emotionally complete than some pigs. By your reasoning, is it not right to cut him up and serve him on a Morton&#39;s Morning Roll rather than using that bacon you were going to have? [/b][/quote]
    Sophistry.

Do you stand by your view that Hitlers behaviour was no worse than that of a Farmer and that the life of a cow is of equal value to that of a human being.

5. Lounge   -   #15
    Ex-member
    As I said above, the post you quoted has been expanded upon.

6. Lounge   -   #16
    Originally posted by PB Montgolfier@4 June 2003 - 22:16

I only raise the point, that in my opinion the holocaust and the horrific murder of 6,000,000 Jews and the appaling abuse of countless others, is not analagous to Farming.
    In lamsey&#39;s defence, if you apply it to INTENSIVE farming practices, some parallels can be drawn (sort of).

My problems with the meat and dairy industries come from the INDUSTRY practices firstly, although I would never go back to eating meat in normal circumstances (before someone rolls out the completely irrelevant "If you were dying of hunger on a desert island and you captured a rabbit....")

That said, I don&#39;t like comparisons to Nazi politics as such, I try to avoid them. For the simple reason that fascism is an issue that is not to be taken lightly, and bandying the term about willy-nilly lessens the impact of a very serious issue.

7. Lounge   -   #17
    summerlinda's Avatar Pyretta¤Blaze
    What has either of these posts got to do with the subject.
    This the lounge we can OffTopic as much as we want
    But seriously, i think Lamsey meant as a figure of speach, a way to speak..... Maybe it was wrong, i would not have made that remark myself....
    But i dont think Lamsey sees a Hitler in every farmer he meets, maybe he got carried away a little....
    Lamsey, speak up man, say sorry or defend your remark.

Btw PB, you owe me something&#33;

8. Lounge   -   #18
    Ex-member
    That said, I don&#39;t like comparisons to Nazi politics as such, I try to avoid them. For the simple reason that fascism is an issue that is not to be taken lightly, and bandying the term about willy-nilly lessens the impact of a very serious issue.
    I apologise - I&#39;m only 17 so I&#39;m yet to be desensitised to the horrors of the Holocaust.

To clarify for PB:
    I do not view a cow&#39;s life as more important than a human&#39;s. There is a lot more that a human can do in this world, and a human carries more responsibilities.

However, I view the human and the cow (as well as all other sentient life) as having an equal right to live. That is not the same thing.

To clarify for summerlinda:
    I do not say that every farmer is like Hitler. But there is something Hitleresque in what they do.

9. Lounge   -   #19
    Ex-member
    Another thought which has just occured to me:

The treatment of hens in batteries is actually much worse than, or at the very least as bad as, many of the tortures that the likes of Hitler, Paul Pott, etc. have inflicted on humans.

10. Lounge   -   #20
    so if you could only save one, would you save a mouse or a cow? j/k

Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast