Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 6,000 Times Faster Than Broadband

Poster
    An internet system fast enough to download a film in 5 seconds
    is been developed...

Fast TCP ,,,It can run on the same internet connections as existing coumputers, test show Fast TCP can send data at a speed of 925megabits a sec ,,simply by inproving the way information is broken down and transnitted,,,By linking 10 Fast TCP systems together,developers achieved transmission speeds of more than 8.6 gigabits, thats 6000 times faster than Broadband

Wow sign me up dream dream

Oni

2. Lounge   -   #2
    crazy_billy_bats's Avatar Poster
    sure its not cheap!

at all!

3. Lounge   -   #3
    Poster BT Rep: +1
    LOL...well seeing how T1 and T3 lines are still in the thousands per month, and OC3 and OC10 ...are like $100,000 a month...something at that speed would have to cost a ridiculous amount. Dont expect that to hit households anytime soon. Probably being developed for buisnesses anyway.

4. Lounge   -   #4
    yeah i think only businesses are the only likely people to use it, who would need to use that?

and thanks groggster, i wanted to know how much T3's where, they are unheard of here.
    I think the highest in the UK is like a 2mbit connection, regular home users cant buy higher than that, and that was just released very recently by the best broadband provider here, Pipex, you have them in the US?

even that costs A LOT

5. Lounge   -   #5
    Rat Faced's Avatar Broken
    Originally posted by thegroggman@5 June 2003 - 18:40
    LOL...well seeing how T1 and T3 lines are still in the thousands per month, and OC3 and OC10 ...are like $100,000 a month...something at that speed would have to cost a ridiculous amount. Dont expect that to hit households anytime soon. Probably being developed for buisnesses anyway.
    I heard somewhere its being designed for Universities and other Research Facilities, due to the amount of pure data that needs to be transmitted around the world by them...eg Human Genum Research etc

An It Harm None, Do What You Will

6. Lounge   -   #6
    i know most universities run their own servers (i suppose this is obvious&#33, but the one i was at the download speeds were only hitting like 30 k/s......
    the UK broadband take up has been very very poor, its still very limited and shit here.

7. Lounge   -   #7
    4play's Avatar knob jockey
    the original article says that it is just atweak to the tcp/ip protocal to gain this speed. how?

have we really been using such a poorly designed system for so long.

still if the speeds are true then a 56 k would be fast enough for everyone.

edit: article

8. Lounge   -   #8
    DarthInsinuate's Avatar Died in battle
    last time i heard a rumour about new super hard-ware was about 5 years ago, when they were developing a new CD with 20 times the capacity using a multi-layer technology

this sounds a little 'april fools' though, like 4play said
    The Sexay Half Of ABBA And Max: Freelance Plants

9. Lounge   -   #9
    I think the reporter is misquoting/understanding. I dont think with current technology you can send much more than normal broadband speeds down copper twisted pair (ie telephone lines). And this fast TCP just seems to be a new protocol for fast links. Most likely instead of :

When the researchers tested 10 Fast TCP systems together it boosted the speed to more than 6,000 times the capacity of the ordinary broadband links.
    It should probably read " more than 6,000 times the capacity of an ordinary broadband link" which makes a big difference because the stanford people weren't using normal phone lines they were using 10 high speed links.

10. Lounge   -   #10
    4play's Avatar knob jockey
    I have had to study the tcp/ip protocal's and there is room for improvement but you will not see massive amounts.

they are always talking about redesigning it to stop ddos attacks and speed it up but nothing ever changes.

this will never happen. unfortunetly

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast