Thread: Managing 1 LAN and 2 internet connections.

MultiForce's Avatar Poster
    I've ordered 2 internet connections. 1 of them (the fastest one) is going to be used by my 2 servers, a laptop and maybe another comp.

The other internet connection is only going to be used by my gaming PC and another computer.

All the machine also needs to be able to access each other (sharing etc.).

Internet: 26/3Mbps and 20/1Mbps
    LAN: 1000Mbps

Whats the easiest and cheapest way to do this?

I need to be able to ensure that none of the machine uses the "wrong" internet connection.

2. Internet, Programming and Graphics   -   #2
    If your servers are going to have real internet-reachable ip addresses then I suggest two network cards in the machines, one for internet, one for LAN.

If all the machines are going to be behind NAT connection sharing then
    set up both the gateway devices in the same LAN subnet with different addresses. Give the machines static LAN ip addresses with the gateway address set to direct traffic to the appropriate gateway device. Don't forget DNS settings.
    "I went over to a friend's house the other day. He was having problems with his computer and he asked me to look at it, and I realized he had Windows Me and it's like, oh no—that's your first problem."-Michael Dell, founder and CEO of Dell.

3. Internet, Programming and Graphics   -   #3
    Your last suggestion was something I thought of yesterday.

One question about that. The routers/modems will be 100Mbps, but when I use my switches between the machines and the routers I guess they'll direct the traffic between the machines so that I end up having 1 Gigabit when transferring data over LAN?

4. Internet, Programming and Graphics   -   #4
    Ended up using two NIC's on each machine. Easier to direct traffic