Thread: Format Hard Drive

Old Fella
    Hi, I just simply want to format my drive as I am selling PC. Current operating system is Windows XP. I do not have copy of OS or boot disk. Can someone please advise best way to do this. Thanks in advance.
    Last edited by Cyril; 05-02-2007 at 10:39 AM.

2. Software & Hardware   -   #2
    the program I use is Dan's Boot and Nuke. It can be found here. It's completely free and is a great program. Just stick it on a floppy disk or bootable CD (ISO edition) and boot from it. From there, you can choose many different methods of writing all your data over. You can also choose the number of passes, which is determined by the sensitivity of your data. The more sensitive, the more passes, and visa versa.

There are many other programs for this, but I believe Dan's Boot and Nuke is the simplist and easiest to use.

3. Software & Hardware   -   #3
    Virtualbody1234's Avatar Forum Star BT Rep: +2
    Here's another similar one: http://www.killdisk.com/downloadfree.htm

4. Software & Hardware   -   #4
    Go with Kill disk, it specifically wipes a drive so the new owner can't run recovery software on it and get your data back.

5. Software & Hardware   -   #5
    mbucari1's Avatar Poster BT Rep: +35BT Rep +35BT Rep +35BT Rep +35BT Rep +35BT Rep +35BT Rep +35
    i uploaded a piece of software to demonoid a while back called wipe-drive. It does the same thing as kill disk. I haven't used killdisk, so I don't know which one is more efficient.

6. Software & Hardware   -   #6
    peat moss's Avatar Software Farmer BT Rep: +15BT Rep +15BT Rep +15
    Most on the market are fine ,most people you sell it to won't be able to recover anything anyway . Why , they don't know how or have access to programs that recover deleted files . I'd just format using Ultimate boot cd it has all the tools mentioned here . Look under Hard Disk Wiping Tools section .

http://www.ultimatebootcd.com/
    Last edited by peat moss; 05-04-2007 at 01:31 AM.

7. Software & Hardware   -   #7
    S!X's Avatar L33T Member BT Rep: +5
    Quote Originally Posted by Cyril View Post
    Hi, I just simply want to format my drive as I am selling PC. Current operating system is Windows XP. I do not have copy of OS or boot disk. Can someone please advise best way to do this. Thanks in advance.
    If it's a seagate drive, you can use the DOS version of SeaTools which you can obtain from their website.