Thread: Shrinking Audio Books??

Question Mark

I've been looking through the forum but didn't see this question. I have quite a few audio books saved on my computer. I need to figure out how to get them off and saved. Is there a way to shrink them to fit on one cd.. instead of 8 cds for one book?

Sweet

2. Software & Hardware   -   #2
    thewizeard's Avatar re-member BT Rep: +1
    yes there is.

3. Software & Hardware   -   #3
    You have two options and neither will save 8 cd's to one and still keep the quality of the original files. Winrar will compress the files but never from 8 to 1, maybe 8 to 7. The only real option you have is to convert the files to a lower bitrate thus reducing the overall quality of the sound. But since they're not music it shouldn't be too bad unless they're already reduced as far as you dare go.

Something like Easy Cd-Da Extractor or EAC will load the files and then convert them to the same file type (mp3 to mp3) while reducing the bitrate (192kbps to 64kbps) or you could choose (mp3 to wmv 64kbps) which would be even smaller than mp3 at the same bitrate. It all boils down to trying a file and listening to see what you think and how far you can go. then do some math, if you reduce a 50mb file to 10mb 10 divided by 50 = 0.2 or 20% then 8cd's x .2 = 1.6 cd's.