Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456

Thread: Scottish Executive Elections

Quote Originally Posted by Biggles View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Wizard Scuff View Post
    It's the way the whole thing was set up originally. The Government set the Executive up so that a, It would only ever really work as a coalition and b, It was highly unlikely that the SNP would ever be able to get the majority they need (coalition or otherwise) to force independence.

The one thing that concerns me most about SNP possibly gaining power would be fundamental changes to the system of taxation. I know that's not a devolved issue, however I believe they have limited tax charging powers. I'm not convinced that would be a good thing. However they may want to do it just because the power is there to use.

Having said that, if they get a minority coalition (and a seriously weak one at that) what's the chances of them getting anything through. Salmond could end up as the First Minister who did nowt
    and consequently the mostly fondly remembered
    I think that will be Donald Dewar, the First First.

However Salmond doing nowt would certainly be a tremendous improvement on his previous performance.

2. The Drawing Room   -   #52
    Alec Salmond has been elected First Minister with the support of The Green Party's 2 votes. He won 49 - 46.

The Conservatives and Lib Dems abstained.

That's within the allocated time so he can form an administration. However it will very much be a minority coalition. It remains to be seen if the Executive will actually do anything or will he just be blocked. Can he compromise enough with the other parties to make it work.

3. The Drawing Room   -   #53
    j2k4's Avatar en(un)lightened
    Please keep us apprised of his progress or lack of same.
    "Researchers have already cast much darkness on the subject, and if they continue their investigations, we shall soon know nothing at all about it."

-Mark Twain

4. The Drawing Room   -   #54
    Willdo, mate.

He's currently taking the position that the Executive will have to be based on consultation and compromise. Yeah right, you would have said that if the Lib Dems had agreed to a majority coalition.

It's actually going to be quite interesting.

5. The Drawing Room   -   #55
    A nice distracting gridlock can have manifold benefits.
    "Researchers have already cast much darkness on the subject, and if they continue their investigations, we shall soon know nothing at all about it."

-Mark Twain

6. The Drawing Room   -   #56
    Biggles's Avatar Looking for loopholes
    Quote Originally Posted by j2k4 View Post
    ....especially if all the parties are attempting to demonstrate that they are the mature responsible ones and are loathe to be seen to be pursuing petty partisan issues. It is not only beneficial but also quite amusing.
    Cogito cogito ergo cogito sum

7. The Drawing Room   -   #57
    ....especially if all the parties are attempting to demonstrate that they are the mature responsible ones and are loathe to be seen to be pursuing petty partisan issues. It is not only beneficial but also quite amusing.
    The situation in France is similarly promising, I think.

-Mark Twain

8. The Drawing Room   -   #58
    MaxOverlord's Avatar Simplify

The situation in France is similarly promising, I think.
    Sarkozy is naming a diverse group to his upper cabinet positions.
    Jean-Louis Borloo-Centrist as economy chief.
    Bernard Kouchner-Leftist as foreign minister.
    As well as a handful of women.

Will be interesting to see if it works to unify the country or turns into a sludge of a government much like the U.S. If they can stay away from partisan pissing-matches it might be quite refreshing to watch.
    You just keep pushing. You just keep pushing. I made every mistake that could be made. But I just kept pushing..... Descartes

9. The Drawing Room   -   #59
    It's crazy, but it may just work.

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456