Thread: Newsgroup File Request - Where and How???

Poster BT Rep: +1
    Hi,

Have been using NG's for several months now with a premium server and I love it.

My question now is where can I post requests to have them filled? I have tried posting in the groups but some are just too large and have too many files for a single "request" post to be seen.

I have seen some posts that say filling request such and such, or request #454332 etc etc.

So, where do I go to make such requests, and once I get there what do I do? Do I need a special program etc.

Cheers!

2. Newsgroups   -   #2
    Apparently, you haven't tried listing 'all' (no filter) on a header download. You'd find that the listings starting REQ: is generally the way it's done, IN the newsgroup that one either wants or is specific to the request.

a.b.dvd for 'general' stuff, maybe a.b.dvd.midnightmovies for the slime types, maybe a.b.dvd9 for non-recoded postings. 'Newer' newsgroups like a.b.dvdrcore or a.b.dvds can also be considered 'general' types. You can post the request in multiple newsgroups as well, up to the limit your server allows (some restrict 'cross-posting' to two or even 1 mewsgroup, but you're only posting a small text file so sending it multiple times is really no big deal).

There are some groups that run IRC (internet relay chat) 'rooms', but it's been my experience that it's better to put in the request in the newsgroups. That's the 'filling request #xxxx that you see. Mostly Euro stuff though, and you take a big chance using IRC because unless you're using an anonymiser your IP is fully out in the open.
    Last edited by Beck38; 05-04-2007 at 01:24 AM.

3. Newsgroups   -   #3
    I'd say the worst way to request a release is to put something like "REQ: bla" in a group. Nobody reads that, especially in a big group where tons of people are posting. And if you're scared about people seeing your IP address then you shouldn't be on the internet.

4. Newsgroups   -   #4
    Quote Originally Posted by groggy View Post
    I'd say the worst way to request a release is to put something like "REQ: bla" in a group. Nobody reads that, especially in a big group where tons of people are posting. And if you're scared about people seeing your IP address then you shouldn't be on the internet.
    Total anonymity is fairly easy, just takes a few extras steps; Some folks tend to go too far (all this encrypted newsgroup access is a bit much, BUT if you're on a shared system like a cable modem, or corporate WAN, it makes sense), but to not take basic steps, esp. these days with all the id theft going on, is not wise.

As far as REQ, that EASY to filter for, which is what tons of folks do. Takes two seconds, much easier and quicker. If you're in PAL-land, the IRC's are fairly king, however get shut down fairly quickly all the time, but nobody in the rest of the world deals with it much.

5. Newsgroups   -   #5
    Tokeman's Avatar Ron Paul 2012 BT Rep: +30BT Rep +30BT Rep +30BT Rep +30BT Rep +30BT Rep +30
    a lot of groups that post have an irc room for requesting, such as a.b.m.dvd
    just join their irc chat, and look at the topic for directions.
    could not be easier.
    Some also list the requests/fills/already uploaded stuff on a website, so you can see whats there/on the way/requested already

6. Newsgroups   -   #6
    Ok, thanks for the feedback everyone!

I have tried the REQ post in the groups I want them in but have never had any luck getting something actually posted, so that method has been a dud which was why I was looking at different options.

So I think I may try the IRC route and go to one of the groups(?) that I have seen posting things.

Is there a walkthrough on how to set up an IRC program and how to do so safely and protect yourself? I have never done IRC, was always told it was a high risk environment. Also what IRC client would you recommend?

Thank you.

7. Newsgroups   -   #7
    Hi,

Does anyone have any IRC suggestions, pointers, guides, recommendations, warnings, channels etc. to recommend?

Thanks.

8. Newsgroups   -   #8
    4play's Avatar knob jockey
    http://www.alt-bin.com/index.php for where to request and i would probably use http://www.mirc.com/ on windows.

9. Newsgroups   -   #9
    Thank you, will go check out your links now. Most appreciated!!!!