Thread: Share a Single Song on BitTorrent, eDonkey, Get Fined 300 Euros

popopot's Avatar To Me, To You BT Rep: +5

TorrentFreak reports that the anti-piracy group Logistep is now going after Italian filesharers to follow up their action in the UK and Germany. Thousands of Italians have been issued with demands that add up to more than 1 million Euros.

"As with the other cases, the settlement amount demanded far outweighs the cost of the original product. Indeed, VedoVa_NeRa reports that every user in these cases has been accused of sharing just one specific song. That’s a 300 euro ($400) ‘fine’ for ONE song. Additionally, the whole thing is being rushed through - once the demand letter is received, just a single week is allowed to accept the charges and pay the settlement amount - the same strategy employed by law firm Davenport Lyons in pursuing the alleged ‘Pinball Pirates’ in the UK, instilling a sense of panic in the recipient which the lawyers hope will result in rapid settlement."

Source: TorrentFreak

2. News (Archive)   -   #2
    TheFoX's Avatar www.arsebook.com
    Sounds like a new marketing strategy...

Instead of making money from the songs, they encourage people to fileshare, then threaten action and rake in 2000% profit, instead of the 100% profit they would normally make.

This could set a new trend. We go shopping at Tescos, and discover that there are no cashiers or any staff in the shop at all, so we take what we need. When we get outside, security are waiting and tell us we can go free if we pay a £500 fine, even though the shopping only cost £100.

Definitely a niche market there, and plenty of idiots prepared to pay for the service.

3. News (Archive)   -   #3
    Creeping Death's Avatar Pedant
    hmm usenet will always be the safest, most reliable way to go

4. News (Archive)   -   #4
    Skiz's Avatar (_8(I)
    I don't have any Euro's, only American dollars.

yo

5. News (Archive)   -   #5
    WHiKWiRE's Avatar MooPhEuS

Laugh

Quote Originally Posted by Skizo View Post
    I guess your in the clear then.

6. News (Archive)   -   #6
    iNSOMNiA's Avatar 1/G BT Rep: +16BT Rep +16BT Rep +16BT Rep +16
    Quote Originally Posted by Skizo View Post
    you think you safe in the US ? we all gonna move to Netherlands and not just for the uber Copyright laws

The trouble with the world is that the stupid are cocksure and the intelligent are full of doubt.