Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Zero Post "members"

geothermal78's Avatar Poster
    >>>Unless you are suggesting closing the forum to guests, and then where would we get new members?>>>

A few message boards I am on, we have zero guests. All viewers must register and become a member.

Another message board I am on emails people who have not posted or signed on in 60 days and in the email it says to post or sign on in a week or be deleted for inactivity.

I think some users of this message board only sign on if they have issues with downloading or get error messages. So they very rarely need help, it would be a shame to delete anyone.

Too bad paypal requires credit cards.

geothermal

2. Everything Related to the Board   -   #32
    VB
    Another message board I am on emails people who have not posted or signed on in 60 days and in the email it says to post or sign on in a week or be deleted for inactivity.
    I could do that too, but why ?

3. Everything Related to the Board   -   #33
    geothermal78's Avatar Poster
    >>>I could do that too, but why ? >>>

It could be an automated response telling and reminding people that they are about to be deleted for lack of posting or contributing to the boards. It might jump start people into contributing ?

geothermal

4. Everything Related to the Board   -   #34
    zapjb's Avatar Computer Abuser BT Rep: +3
    I guess there is no simple solution to my original post.

5. Everything Related to the Board   -   #35
    Poster
    Originally posted by geothermal78@3 July 2003 - 19:40

It could be an automated response telling and reminding people that they are about to be deleted for lack of posting or contributing to the boards. It might jump start people into contributing ?

geothermal
    Thats a good idea,at least it should get more members active.

6. Everything Related to the Board   -   #36
    It just encourages spam, if they've not got anything to say then thats ok with me

7. Everything Related to the Board   -   #37
    VB
    Originally posted by N£MO+3 July 2003 - 23:18--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (N£MO @ 3 July 2003 - 23:18)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-geothermal78@3 July 2003 - 19:40

It could be an automated response telling and reminding people that they are about to be deleted for lack of posting or contributing to the boards.&nbsp; It might jump start people into contributing ?

geothermal
    Thats a good idea,at least it should get more members active. [/b][/quote]
    We already have problems with handling the current active users .. you know the error "Too many connections" ?

8. Everything Related to the Board   -   #38
    thewizeard's Avatar re-member BT Rep: +1
    Is it possible to introduce a membership fee? (I have seen the arguments regarding paypal and credit cards.) This may encourage administrators to allow the amount of connections to be returned to 500?

This is the basic idea then, you have three catergories; guests, members and paying members(with extra priviledges)

For guests nothing changes.

Members would be on a sort "hotmail system".No post inside 30 days then they have to renew their membership.

Paying members would always be on the short list for connection, they automatically jump the connection queue and also would not have any posting requirements. Other priveledges could be formulated in the future.

The only problem that remains is how to collect the membership fees. I myself have an internet bank account. This is an ABNAMRO account. I can instantly write money over to any bank account while I eat my breakfast&#33; All I need is the account number.( And of course money on my account)

In any case I hope that vou find a solution, it would be a pity if this Forum dissapeared because of its own popularity&#33;

9. Everything Related to the Board   -   #39
    Originally posted by nigel123@5 July 2003 - 08:43
    Is it possible to introduce a membership fee? (I have seen the arguments regarding paypal and credit cards.) This may encourage administrators to allow the amount of connections to be returned to 500?

This is the basic idea then, you have three catergories; guests, members and paying members(with extra priviledges)

For guests nothing changes.

Members would be on a sort "hotmail system".No post inside 30 days then they have to renew their membership.

Paying members would always be on the short list for connection, they automatically jump the connection queue and also would not have any posting requirements. Other priveledges could be formulated in the future.

The only problem that remains is how to collect the membership fees. I myself have an internet bank account. This is an ABNAMRO account. I can instantly write money over to any bank account while I eat my breakfast&#33; All I need is the account number.( And of course money on my account)

In any case I hope that vou find a solution, it would be a pity if this Forum dissapeared because of its own popularity&#33;
    no-one is gonna pay to use a forum

that idea would flop badly

10. Everything Related to the Board   -   #40
    thewizeard's Avatar re-member BT Rep: +1
    If its true what you say, 2nd gen noob, that nobody would pay; then the senior members should just be given priority of connection. followed by members and then the guests.

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast