Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: where does the tracker get the pre-times?

DaMan05's Avatar GO HABS GO! BT Rep: +17BT Rep +17BT Rep +17BT Rep +17
    i'll use monday's ep of Heroes as example. on Chronic, it was upped at xx:20:54 and the pre-time says 1 min 44 sec... that would put the pre-time at xx:19:10

on RTS, the pre was 18 secs. and it was upped at xx:25:05... making the pre-time xx:24:47

even tho i rilly dont care bout a 5 min difference, my actual question is: is the line that says the pre-time on trackers inputted by the uploader to the site, or is it automatic via the NFO or someting?

thanks

2. BitTorrent   -   #2
    RTFM's Avatar <? print "BCC"; ?> BT Rep: +6BT Rep +6
    Pre times are usually taken from a pre db (database of pre information and time)

3. BitTorrent   -   #3
    BLaZiN's Avatar Up yours! BT Rep: +13BT Rep +13BT Rep +13
    its a good question rite, until recently i was askin the same question to myself. The way i see it now is like this....it goes on a site any site and the first to get the file (im guessing) becomes the pre-time, then u get a pre bot or whatever grabbing it, so the first site it comes on becomes its 0.0.00 time and any site which gets it after it becomes so much after pre, as it goes as im writing this it dont sound to plausable but its my theory as to how a pre time is found otherwise where does the pre bot grab the file from - who nos

another post to my count

4. BitTorrent   -   #4
    Poster BT Rep: +11BT Rep +11BT Rep +11
    oh, another thread for all the "ex-sceners" to come in and bash everyone.
    pretime is not based on whatever site gets it first, its based on when the pre-db says the group released it.

5. BitTorrent   -   #5
    Clean little helper BT Rep: +12BT Rep +12BT Rep +12
    And why are those differences? Different pre-time db's from different sites?

6. BitTorrent   -   #6
    Poster BT Rep: +1
    The differences are due to a variety of reason. I know for a fact that the RTS pre time that was listed was incorrect (it was more like 1 minute 30 seconds). Each site also has it's own unique server time which can differ by a couple minutes.

A pre time is entered in a site's predb after the release group first releases something onto their affiliated topsites. Torrent sites almost always get their content from topsites, and that's why they never have 0sec pre time.

7. BitTorrent   -   #7
    Poster BT Rep: +3
    was the pre time in in CET

drwxrwxrwx May 8 04:19 Heroes.S01E21.HDTV.XviD-LOL

its when the group issues a "site pre Heroes.S01E21.HDTV.XviD-LOL" comand on all the sites they affilate simutaniuously, moving the rip from there private directory to the public dir. You can see that actual upload time by looking at when the group actually started moving the files before pre.

-rw-r--r-- 1 May 8 04:17 heroes.121.hdtv-lol.sfv
    -rw-r--r-- 1 May 8 04:18 heroes.121.hdtv-lol.r23
    Last edited by pimpy112; 05-09-2007 at 05:03 AM.

8. BitTorrent   -   #8
    The PRE times should always be the same. Im guessing RTS doesnt have a real pre DB which inserts the pretime. They probably have a field where the uploader manually inserts the time. So quite litterally the times will probably be off if this is the case.

The pre time is announced from the release group itself. Sometimes the release is on the server for a few minutes or a few days. Depends on the group and whats being released. The pre time is displayed when the group officially releases the file. (Not necessarily when the first topsite gets it complete. They could pre it after 200 sites have already had a it a day if they really wanted to.)

Technically speaking the pre times should always be the same even if the sites are using differant time zones.
    3 Minutes is 3 minutes no matter what time zone your in is it not?

9. BitTorrent   -   #9
    Buggyme's Avatar Retired BT Rep: +35BT Rep +35BT Rep +35BT Rep +35BT Rep +35BT Rep +35BT Rep +35
    Quote Originally Posted by eLucid View Post
    The differences are due to a variety of reason. I know for a fact that the RTS pre time that was listed was incorrect (it was more like 1 minute 30 seconds). Each site also has it's own unique server time which can differ by a couple minutes.

A pre time is entered in a site's predb after the release group first releases something onto their affiliated topsites. Torrent sites almost always get their content from topsites, and that's why they never have 0sec pre time.
    You meant the RTS pretime for Heroes?

If you do, I know that they got it off a predb, but it's the predb itself is probably wrong since the pretime was so fast (18 secs). Furthermore, ScT had it at 16 secs.

The PRE times should always be the same. Im guessing RTS doesnt have a real pre DB which inserts the pretime. They probably have a field where the uploader manually inserts the time. So quite litterally the times will probably be off if this is the case.
    Even if that's so, as long as the system time is synchronized with 'real' time, it should be ok.

10. BitTorrent   -   #10
    Night0wl's Avatar GoaHead BT Rep: +6BT Rep +6
    There seem to be inconsistency between trackers in the system time. I think that could very well be the reason for the difference in pre times
    Last edited by Blue_Skies; 05-10-2007 at 03:39 PM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast