Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Suggestion - Please take this into account

tralalala's Avatar The Almighty
    I'm positive all of you have witnessed at least once a "serious" bump of a certain thread (as in bumping a thread over a year old). To be honest, I couldn't care less if it were in the Lounge as it is funny to remember those old-time threads full of flaming and rubbish , but when it happens in sections other than the Lounge, such as the internet-world section, the filesharing discussion section and others, it becomes - a) annoying. b) useless - as people may enter the thread thinking it has some useful data and info. in it, only to find out all the links in the original post are either dead or outdated, and all because of a stupid fluff post at the end of it, that bumped the thread from way back in the trash to the front page, for no good reason.

I have also experienced being pulled into a thread that sounded interesting, only to find out that the original poster has long since been gone from FST, links dead, and that the post that bumped it said something like "ooh great idea, will try" or "thxxxxxxxx". WTF?! For crying out loud.. This is even more annoying than the fluff-posts in the BT section that somewhat (in a very mild and silly way) help the poster by bumping his own thread.. (though I condemn this very much).

I suggest finally making some serious penalty/punishment/warning system for such n00bs that want to get their post count up, or bump old topics because it's cool or whatever..

I do not wish to speak of what I suggest as the possible punishments, but rather to check if there are any other people on this board that feel likewise, and see what everyone thinks.

Thanks.

2. Everything Related to the Board   -   #2
    Hairbautt's Avatar *haircut
    I reported the-big-gamer's bumps in the Games Section. He bumped about 9 or 10 threads that were ~2 years old. Some got deleted, but some are still left.
    _________________________________________________________________________________________
    Last edited by Alien5; Jun 6th, 2006 at
    06:36 PM..

3. Everything Related to the Board   -   #3
    Skiz's Avatar (_8(I)
    Quote Originally Posted by tralalala View Post
    I'm positive all of you have witnessed at least once a "serious" bump of a certain thread (as in bumping a thread over a year old). To be honest, I couldn't care less if it were in the Lounge as it is funny to remember those old-time threads full of flaming and rubbish , but when it happens in sections other than the Lounge, such as the internet-world section, the filesharing discussion section and others, it becomes - a) annoying. b) useless - as people may enter the thread thinking it has some useful data and info. in it, only to find out all the links in the original post are either dead or outdated, and all because of a stupid fluff post at the end of it, that bumped the thread from way back in the trash to the front page, for no good reason.

I have also experienced being pulled into a thread that sounded interesting, only to find out that the original poster has long since been gone from FST, links dead, and that the post that bumped it said something like "ooh great idea, will try" or "thxxxxxxxx". WTF?! For crying out loud.. This is even more annoying than the fluff-posts in the BT section that somewhat (in a very mild and silly way) help the poster by bumping his own thread.. (though I condemn this very much).

I suggest finally making some serious penalty/punishment/warning system for such n00bs that want to get their post count up, or bump old topics because it's cool or whatever..

I do not wish to speak of what I suggest as the possible punishments, but rather to check if there are any other people on this board that feel likewise, and see what everyone thinks.

Thanks.
    It's spilled milk really.

Annoying? A bit, yes. But they are usually deleted and the thread returns to it's abyss. If a particular thread continues to get bumped with spam, then we usually just lock them.

We saw quite a bit of this in the past with the required post count to enter the Invites section, but with no minimum post count now, there has been a definite decrease in spam around the board.

Personally, I feel most of these topics are only brought to light by the "Related Posts" block at the bottom of the threads.

yo

4. Everything Related to the Board   -   #4
    @Skizo: Note taken, thanks for the answer.

5. Everything Related to the Board   -   #5
    Barbarossa's Avatar mostly harmless
    The View Similar Posts function was ditched ages ago.

6. Everything Related to the Board   -   #6
    Mike Nelson's Avatar Poster
    Quote Originally Posted by Hairbautt View Post
    I reported the-big-gamer's bumps in the Games Section. He bumped about 9 or 10 threads that were ~2 years old. Some got deleted, but some are still left.
    I reported him also and he was warned for his actions. Personally, I would have deleted/moved all his irrelevant posts so the threads drop back to where they were so people can see the recent topics and not be confused/put off/feel the need to tell people off about topics from three years ago.

As it stands now we still have a fair number of these out of date threads on the front page of Gamesworld. Which is still a bit silly.

As we are getting to be quite an old forum perhaps it has come time that we lock all threads though? If I really need to reply to a thread from 4 years ago I could just start a new thread with a link to the post I'm replying to.
    Last edited by Mike Nelson; 05-11-2007 at 07:36 PM.

7. Everything Related to the Board   -   #7
    Hairbautt's Avatar *haircut
    When its a useless post like that thread about the early halflife2 release from anon...Its about nuking/confirming an early release buddy, nobody cares if you played halflife1 and you sucked. Not to mention is dates back to Oct 14th, 2004, ffs.
    Quote Originally Posted by the-big-gamer
    i tried half life one befor but ut was suk
    here.
    _________________________________________________________________________________________
    Last edited by Alien5; Jun 6th, 2006 at
    06:36 PM..

8. Everything Related to the Board   -   #8
    tesco's Avatar woowoo
    we ditched the similar threads thingy for this very reason...

Anyway, as we told you in the other thread, if you see something you don't like report it.
    We don't view every single post on this board, we can't notice everything...

9. Everything Related to the Board   -   #9
    Note taken ross. Thanks.

10. Everything Related to the Board   -   #10
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike Nelson View Post
    As we are getting to be quite an old forum perhaps it has come time that we lock all threads though?
    Yeah, lock all threads, that would make for some interesting discussions.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast