Thread: Asus Software Query

I have just bought a new machine with an Asus P5VD2-MX board, and 2 Seagate Sata 160Gb Hd's.
    I would like to set them up in a Raid array, (not sure if 0 or 1 yet).
    My problem is the Motherboard disk includes both a Via Raid controller and another Raid controller (something like JMicron ??) After Googling how to set up the RAID I am unsure which or both controllers to use. The ASUS website has both listed, but.......I dont understand why there are 2.
    As you can see, no idea about RAID before, so any help really appreciated.
    Thanks.

Edit. I understand it now. Thanks.
    Last edited by kennyboy; 05-13-2007 at 09:22 AM.

2. Software & Hardware   -   #2
    You should not need to use the Jmicron RAID at all. I had problems with the JMicron RAID after the windows installation with the Intel RAID controller. Windows update indicated that there were new JMIicron drivers available and I accidentally downloaded them. After this the CDROM stopped working and Windows complained on a resource conflict. Obviously there is some tricky thing of getting these two RAID controllers to operate simultaneously.

3. Software & Hardware   -   #3
    Quote Originally Posted by shapeless View Post
    You should not need to use the Jmicron RAID at all. I had problems with the JMicron RAID after the windows installation with the Intel RAID controller. Windows update indicated that there were new JMIicron drivers available and I accidentally downloaded them. After this the CDROM stopped working and Windows complained on a resource conflict. Obviously there is some tricky thing of getting these two RAID controllers to operate simultaneously.
    Ok. Thanks for the reply.

4. Software & Hardware   -   #4
    Take a look here:

Code:
    http://www.mechbgon.com/build/SATA.html
    According to this help page, having two controllers sometimes means each one controls a different set of connections on the motherboard. There is also the possibility that one may have different capabilities than the other (raid5). Your best bet is your mobo or system manual and then next would be the manufacturers site, probably a forum where you can ask specific questions about which controller does what. If one has raid5 and you determine you don't need that then use the other.