Thread: Voice track on audio greatly attentuated...

j2k4's Avatar en(un)lightened
    ...relative to the musical scoring.

Here's the deal:

I DLed the Planet Earth BBC series as a series of 5 (Magic) ISO files and mounted two of them.

The narrative voice of Richard Attenborough is almost completely subsumed within the rest of the audio spectrum; while I'm listening to the beautiful accompanying musical score, I can barely discern the narration, nevermind understand it...I've noted that a "how they filmed it" section of the first disk is normally intelligible, but when the content returns to the larger subject, the voice is obscured again.

In all other respects, the sound/music is stupendous, and the photography is astounding.

I really don't want to watch this with subtitles...is there any way to salvage them, or do I have to DL them again?
    Last edited by j2k4; 05-24-2007 at 09:43 AM.
    "Researchers have already cast much darkness on the subject, and if they continue their investigations, we shall soon know nothing at all about it."

-Mark Twain

2. Software & Hardware   -   #2
    Don't download from the same source, its likely the person who made the files butchered the process and did'nt check before he rushed to upload. All you can do, if they're the only ones, is to watch for an updated (fixed) version or use a source that has to be different (different file type or sizes). If you want to try, you can demux the audio and see if you can repair the narration but it wil only work if the voice and music are separate tracks as in 5.1 surround or right and left channels.

3. Software & Hardware   -   #3
    Quote Originally Posted by Appzalien View Post
    Don't download from the same source, its likely the person who made the files butchered the process and did'nt check before he rushed to upload. All you can do, if they're the only ones, is to watch for an updated (fixed) version or use a source that has to be different (different file type or sizes). If you want to try, you can demux the audio and see if you can repair the narration but it wil only work if the voice and music are separate tracks as in 5.1 surround or right and left channels.
    Kinda what I was thinking, but your last intrigues me because I was thinking 5.1 might be why it happened/happens, and, as such, might be sorted.

It could also explain why the one section plays normally.

A first step might be to find a friend who has a soundcard that will accomodate 5.1 material...my poor little Audigy Z does not.
    "Researchers have already cast much darkness on the subject, and if they continue their investigations, we shall soon know nothing at all about it."

-Mark Twain

4. Software & Hardware   -   #4
    Skiz's Avatar (_8(I)
    You're just having a rotten string of luck with this aren't you?

Unfortunately, I haven't the slightest clue how to fix the problem, but if you end up having to download another version, the one I downloaded from Torrentleech works perfectly. The torrent filename is - Planet Earth DVDR - PAL - Complete.torrent

yo

5. Software & Hardware   -   #5
    Quote Originally Posted by Skizo View Post
    You're just having a rotten string of luck with this aren't you?

Unfortunately, I haven't the slightest clue how to fix the problem, but if you end up having to download another version, the one I downloaded from Torrentleech works perfectly. The torrent filename is - Planet Earth DVDR - PAL - Complete.torrent
    Well, I guess I'll look for that one tonight, then.

Now: how's about a format converter so I can watch it on my Sony?

-Mark Twain

6. Software & Hardware   -   #6
    Just re-checked.

That's the one I DLed.

-Mark Twain

7. Software & Hardware   -   #7
    Skiz's Avatar (_8(I)
    Well, then let's troubleshot a different way, since I can confirm that's a good download.

How are you attempting to watch the files? Have you tried opening one of the ISO files with Videolan?

yo

8. Software & Hardware   -   #8
    Good call, Skiz - VLC works, so the files are intact.

The problem must be WMP, which I normally use out of sheer laziness.

So, then-

How to convert them to from PAL to what-is-it...Region 1? Something?

-Mark Twain

9. Software & Hardware   -   #9
    Skiz's Avatar (_8(I)
    Quote Originally Posted by j2k4 View Post

So, then-

DVDDecrypter should do that for you during the burn process.

yo

10. Software & Hardware   -   #10
    Quote Originally Posted by Skizo View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by j2k4 View Post

So, then-

DVDDecrypter should do that for you during the burn process.
    Excellent.

That'll be a project for the weekend at work, then.

Thanks, Skiz.

-Mark Twain