Your Ad Here Your Ad Here
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 11

Thread: Transfer/Post Files From Webserver To Usenet?

  1. #1
    Member
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Posts
    12
    Hey,

    I'm noticing that some usenet posters are able to post a 5GB DVDR in about 10 minutes.

    I assume they are transfering files directly from FTP servers or similar, so their internet connection is not needed.

    Does anyone know how to this? Assuming I have root access to a private server, how can I transfer the files to USENET?

    Thanks.

  2. Newsgroups   -   #2
    QstorM's Avatar Poster BT Rep: +3
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    New York
    Age
    32
    Posts
    181
    Program called PowerPost. Choose files > create pars > pick binary group > upload.

  3. Newsgroups   -   #3
    It's impossible to transfer files from FTP directly to usenet

  4. Newsgroups   -   #4
    4play's Avatar knob jockey
    Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Location
    London
    Age
    35
    Posts
    5,530
    depends what server you have really but considering you said you have root access im assuming Linux.

    Install newspost and you can uplaod files from a command line. it also automatically makes sfv and par files if you tell it to.

  5. Newsgroups   -   #5
    Member
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Posts
    12
    Quote Originally Posted by 4play View Post
    depends what server you have really but considering you said you have root access im assuming Linux.

    Install newspost and you can uplaod files from a command line. it also automatically makes sfv and par files if you tell it to.
    Thanks, that looks like what I'm talking about.

    Don't have the first clue how to install it though. The read me file that comes with it, doesn't really explain much either..

  6. Newsgroups   -   #6
    4play's Avatar knob jockey
    Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Location
    London
    Age
    35
    Posts
    5,530
    use ssh to login to your server then

    Code:
    wget http://newspost.unixcab.org/download/newspost-2.1.1.tar.gz
    tar -zxvf newspost-2.1.1.tar.gz
    cd newspost-2.1.1
    make
    sudo make install
    (it will prompt you to input your root password)
    now just read the man pages to get an idea what the syntax is for uploading stuff.

    man newspost

  7. Newsgroups   -   #7
    Poster BT Rep: +1
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Posts
    548
    btw some people have windows servers, so they can just use powerpost on it through remote desktop

  8. Newsgroups   -   #8
    Member
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Posts
    12
    Quote Originally Posted by 4play View Post
    use ssh to login to your server then

    Code:
    wget http://newspost.unixcab.org/download/newspost-2.1.1.tar.gz
    tar -zxvf newspost-2.1.1.tar.gz
    cd newspost-2.1.1
    make
    sudo make install
    (it will prompt you to input your root password)
    now just read the man pages to get an idea what the syntax is for uploading stuff.

    man newspost
    Cool, I think i have it installed correctly, but now can't figure out how to use it.

    I found, "Knewspost 1.1" which is a front-end for newspost. Supposed to make it more easy to use etc., but now I can't figure out how to install that. I used the same instructions you gave for newspost (Changing the filename), but it's not installing correctly.

  9. Newsgroups   -   #9
    4play's Avatar knob jockey
    Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Location
    London
    Age
    35
    Posts
    5,530
    yeah i had problems with the frontends myself.

    what distro you using ?

  10. Newsgroups   -   #10
    Member
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Posts
    12
    Quote Originally Posted by 4play View Post
    yeah i had problems with the frontends myself.

    what distro you using ?
    Just setting up a little something for dumping. I followed the above advice and am trying out a new Windows VPS with Remote Desktop. Looks all good so far.
    Gotta test out the usenet posting speeds in a minute. Hopefully it`s a lot faster!


    EDIT:
    Yikes! Just launched Powerpost and it`s posting to usenet at 7-900kbps! And this is just a little 256mb ram, VPS.

    Perfect!
    Last edited by 604; 05-24-2007 at 11:02 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •