Thread: Reducing uTorrent's CPU usage

Well, I need a tip or two from you guys I have a VPS, and I'm sharing the costs with my friend, we pay 15$ each He has a Counter Strike server running there, to be more concise he's running 2x16 slots servers. The average load while the 2 servers are filled with players is 1.0 The deal is that he has his CS servers, and I get my seedbox (if I can call it like that)
    Anyways, I hit very high speeds with it like all the time, and uTorrent really raises the load of the server, from 1.0 to max 2.0

I play CS regularly as well, so I want the best gaming experience possible. If you have any tips on how to decrease the load please let me know

2. BitTorrent   -   #2
    Bump
    And also if you have a recommendation for another torrent client that is able to run in Debian, please do reply

3. BitTorrent   -   #3
    Poster BT Rep: +13BT Rep +13BT Rep +13
    Well, the problem may not be which client causes less server load but rather which ones are banned from using on your trackers. As some clients don't work so well with keeping stats up to date, they're not allowed on some trackers.

My suggestion are console bittorrent clients from the likes of cTorrent, rTorrent, Bittorrent-curses etc.

One word of advice though: check with your tracker(s) if those clients may be used and DON'T expect a fancy client as rich in details as uTorrent or Azureus. On the other hand, console applications like these should keep your server load considerably lower - well, what load that isn't caused by very high transfer rates and harddisk accesses.

4. BitTorrent   -   #4
    Buggyme's Avatar Retired BT Rep: +35BT Rep +35BT Rep +35BT Rep +35BT Rep +35BT Rep +35BT Rep +35
    Quote Originally Posted by TheManMKD View Post
    Bump
    And also if you have a recommendation for another torrent client that is able to run in Debian, please do reply
    rTorrent is a pretty functional lightweight client. You might want to try it if you want to use server resources for other things as well.

5. BitTorrent   -   #5
    I tried installing rTorrent yesterday, but I hit some problems, and because I didn't had the time, I quit.
    As soon as I have some spare time, I'll try to install it again. Thank you

6. BitTorrent   -   #6
    Poster BT Rep: +13BT Rep +13BT Rep +13
    Quote Originally Posted by TheManMKD View Post
    I tried installing rTorrent yesterday, but I hit some problems, and because I didn't had the time, I quit.
    As soon as I have some spare time, I'll try to install it again. Thank you
    If you have no luck building your own rTorrent, you might want to try Debian's own packaging system and use the existing rtorrent package to easily install within the minute. I'm not up to date on this client though, so using a considerably older version (which is standard procedure for a stable Debian distribution) might cause problems on its own.