Thread: Windows Installer Service, I'm getting this error

The Windows installer service could not be accessed. This can occur if you are running windows in safe mode, or if Windows Installer is not correctly installed. Contact your support personnel for assistance.

I've looked on google and tried a few different things but with no luck.

I really dont want to reinstall windows, has anyone come across it before?

My OS is XP Pro Service Pack 2

Thanks

P.S. If it makes any difference the problem happened after I installed Kaspersky 6.
    Last edited by barryk32; 05-23-2007 at 05:17 PM.

2. Software & Hardware   -   #2
    clocker's Avatar Shovel Ready
    I assume that you've checked that the Windows Installer service is running (Start>Run>services.msc)?
    If it is set to manual (or disabled) change it to automatic then reboot and recheck to confirm that it's still running. If not, you could disable Kaspersky and rerun the previous check to see if the AV is somehow killing the installer.
    "I am the one who knocks."- Heisenberg

3. Software & Hardware   -   #3
    Snee's Avatar Error xɐʇuʎs BT Rep: +1
    Wasn't there an update to that very recently?

Might have been today even.

Maybe that screwed something up. Do you run automatic updates?

4. Software & Hardware   -   #4
    zapjb's Avatar Computer Abuser BT Rep: +3
    Maybe you need the update?

5. Software & Hardware   -   #5
    Quote Originally Posted by clocker View Post
    I assume that you've checked that the Windows Installer service is running (Start>Run>services.msc)?
    If it is set to manual (or disabled) change it to automatic then reboot and recheck to confirm that it's still running. If not, you could disable Kaspersky and rerun the previous check to see if the AV is somehow killing the installer.

Its started and set to automatic. It doesn't alter if Kaspersky enabled or disabled.

I've made sure its fully updated.

I thought about uninstalling it but because of the problem it wouldn't let me lol.

Thanks for the advise.
    Last edited by barryk32; 05-24-2007 at 07:49 PM.

6. Software & Hardware   -   #6
    Hairbautt's Avatar *haircut

Unsure

Quote Originally Posted by Snee View Post
    Wasn't there an update to that very recently?

Might have been today even.

Maybe that screwed something up. Do you run automatic updates?
    Yep,
    Update for Windows XP (KB927891)
    This is a reliability update. This update resolves an issue in the Windows Installer (MSI) that can affect performance during software updates. After you install this item, you may have to restart your computer.How to Uninstall
    This software update can be removed via Add or Remove Programs in Control Panel.Get help and support
    http://support.microsoft.com
    Probably should have AV software disabled before installing...Uninstall, clean, reinstall with it off...
    _________________________________________________________________________________________
    Last edited by Alien5; Jun 6th, 2006 at
    06:36 PM..

7. Software & Hardware   -   #7

Unsure

Quote Originally Posted by Hairbautt View Post
    Yep,
    Update for Windows XP (KB927891)
    This is a reliability update. This update resolves an issue in the Windows Installer (MSI) that can affect performance during software updates. After you install this item, you may have to restart your computer.How to Uninstall
    This software update can be removed via Add or Remove Programs in Control Panel.Get help and support
    http://support.microsoft.com
    Probably should have AV software disabled before installing...Uninstall, clean, reinstall with it off...
    Cheers, however I've just gone onto windows update and it says this.

Files required to use Windows Update are no longer registered or installed on your computer. To continue:

Register or reinstall the files for me now (Recommended)
    Let me read about more steps that might be required to solve the problem.

Although a setback it looks like i'm getting to the bottom.

I've clicked the top one and when I go back it still says the same.

Just going to check to see if I've installed and can therefore uninstall said update.

Advice really is appreciated. Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by barryk32 View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Hairbautt View Post
    Yep, Probably should have AV software disabled before installing...Uninstall, clean, reinstall with it off...
    Cheers, however I've just gone onto windows update and it says this.

Files required to use Windows Update are no longer registered or installed on your computer. To continue:

Register or reinstall the files for me now (Recommended)
    Let me read about more steps that might be required to solve the problem.

Although a setback it looks like i'm getting to the bottom.

I've clicked the top one and when I go back it still says the same.

Just going to check to see if I've installed and can therefore uninstall said update.

Advice really is appreciated. Thanks
    Right............ for whatever reason.... very few of my windows/microsoft updates are showing on both add/remove programs and C/Cleaner.

Am I looking at a reinstall? Last time I did this I lost all the girlfriends college work
    Last edited by barryk32; 05-24-2007 at 08:46 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

8. Software & Hardware   -   #8
    lynx's Avatar .
    Quote Originally Posted by barryk32 View Post
    Am I looking at a reinstall? Last time I did this I lost all the girlfriends college work
    Make sure you back up any important data before you reinstall.
    Political correctness is based on the principle that it's possible to pick up a turd by the clean end.

9. Software & Hardware   -   #9
    Hairbautt's Avatar *haircut
    In ccleaner there is an option to delete "Hotfixes Uninstallers"...Have you ever had that checked? Because if you did well...
    _________________________________________________________________________________________
    Last edited by Alien5; Jun 6th, 2006 at
    06:36 PM..

10. Software & Hardware   -   #10
    Snee's Avatar Error xɐʇuʎs BT Rep: +1
    If it's possible to download the update manually instead of going through windows update, which it was last I tried with something, you could do that.

Try running the exe you get and see what happens.

Another thing you could try is downloading the latest version of the windows installer, not just the latest hotfix, and try running that. There might be a repair option or something.