Thread: SFF PCs

Busyman™'s Avatar Use Logic Or STFU!
    I have made up my mind that I want a small form factor PC.

I want a beast of a graphics card in it (so it needs to accomodate a big slot) but want it as small as possible and not vertical.

Any recommendations? Should I just build one?

It need it to have
    multi card readers,
    DVD burner,
    HDMI or DVI out

I want to hook up wireless controllers to it and a nice remote controller.

I will hook it up to a jack that goes to my router. The computer will be part of an entertainment system and not typical computer setup.

2. Software & Hardware   -   #2
    Skiz's Avatar (_8(I)
    I've had 2 Shuttle PCs and I can't say a single bad thing about them. Recommended.

yo

3. Software & Hardware   -   #3
    clocker's Avatar Shovel Ready
    Quote Originally Posted by Busyman™ View Post
    I have made up my mind that I want a small form factor PC.

I want a beast of a graphics card in it (so it needs to accomodate a big slot)
    Don't overlook the fact that along with the physical space to mount the card you'll also need a power supply stout enough to run it...
    "I am the one who knocks."- Heisenberg

4. Software & Hardware   -   #4
    Snee's Avatar Error xɐʇuʎs BT Rep: +1
    I use a Shuttle now, and it's good (it was a barebone with components I picked myself otherwise, though). Have a look at the site, there are some interesting options.

The latest ones look pretty sweet.

However, for my next machine I'm going for something mATX, possibly using a SuGO or something like the Antec Aria. And I'll be selecting the components myself, since I prefer doing it that way.

Haven't decided on a motherboard yet, but I have a few ideas on that and other parts that will give me all the performance I want.

Shuttle parts are often proprietary, and while I don't know about the latest ones, in the past your chances of fitting a more recent mobo in an old model chassis have been nigh on non-existing.

Also keep in mind that high performance parts in a small chassis often produce a lot of noise, at least in my experience.

Last, if you can't balance the performance you want with what you have room for in an SFF-chassis, there's the option of building something in a regular chassis, as well as something using the mini itx-platform for your TV-needs.

In some cases putting two machines together instead of one comes out cheaper, depending on exactly what one has in mind, and the pricing of components, in your area.
    Last edited by Snee; 05-25-2007 at 01:28 PM. Reason: Clarification

5. Software & Hardware   -   #5
    Busyman™'s Avatar Use Logic Or STFU!
    Tbh, I don't a big chassis but in the old horizontal chassis format.

Now that I think about it, it doesn't have to really be SFF at all, just horizontal.

I am quite pressed for this.

I want to be able to run Vista Ultimate, play Crysis, play movies in HD, and possibly use as a DVR.

Thanks for the info guys.

6. Software & Hardware   -   #6
    clocker's Avatar Shovel Ready
    Busy,
    I've built three systems now into this Lian-li and it's been pretty good.
    The comments about the PSU/vid card fit are accurate but I know that the modular Corsair power supply and an 8800 card will work.
    "I am the one who knocks."- Heisenberg

7. Software & Hardware   -   #7
    Virtualbody1234's Avatar Forum Star BT Rep: +2
    Another desktop case to consider: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16811129014