Your Ad Here Your Ad Here
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 19

Thread: 1080p/720p

  1. #1
    Elvenmunky's Avatar Day Sleeper
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Manchester
    Age
    30
    Posts
    433

    Question Mark

    i really want to buy s new TV but all the 1080ps are waaay expensive but the 720ps are...reasonable would it make THAT much of a difference with the 1080p??? (mind you, i will be playing PS3 on it and watching bluray movies)
    "Our generation has had no Great Depression, no Great War.
    Our war is spiritual. Our depression is our lives." - Tyler Durden

  2. Software & Hardware   -   #2
    The difference between 480p and 720p is about 600,000 pixels, and the difference between 720p and 1080p is over a million pixels. So technically, yes, there would be a big difference.

    From the point of view of someone who hasn't gone HD yet. I would go for 720p, because I couldn't afford 1080p, and I'd be pretty happy with the improvement.
    All that is lost and past we can never regain.
    Regret and loathing is all we have in their place.


  3. Software & Hardware   -   #3
    can I curse? FUCK!
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Posts
    1,295
    It only matters depending on how far and how big the TV set is. There was a chart telling you how far you need to sit to fully experience HD correctly.

  4. Software & Hardware   -   #4
    There is a link here for the chart http://hdguru.com/?p=21

  5. Software & Hardware   -   #5
    I have a HDTV LCD 46" 1080p tv and an upconversion DVD player hooked up with HDMI and when I switch from 780 to 1080i I can't see any difference. pfft lol

  6. Software & Hardware   -   #6
    Busyman™'s Avatar Use Logic Or STFU!
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Posts
    4,262
    Quote Originally Posted by Elvenmunky View Post
    i really want to buy s new TV but all the 1080ps are waaay expensive but the 720ps are...reasonable would it make THAT much of a difference with the 1080p??? (mind you, i will be playing PS3 on it and watching bluray movies)
    1080p is amazing looking but I already have a 1080i TV. Mind you, mine is 65" so I would think 1080p quite noice. If you are getting a 45" (or so) I doubt you'd see a ton of difference between 1080p and 720p.

    If you are getting a real big screen, go with the best (1080p).

    Btw, I haven't been that impressed with Blu-Ray movies. Many that I've seen still have a fucking black bar on the top and bottom and the transfers are shit.

    A real HD movie should encompass the entire screen and be ultra sharp. I get that from network TV shows in HD ffs so if I buy or rent a movie it should be better since HD TV shows are in 1080i.

  7. Software & Hardware   -   #7
    DaMan05's Avatar GO HABS GO! BT Rep: +17BT Rep +17BT Rep +17BT Rep +17
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    HOME OF THE HABS!
    Posts
    460
    i have a 67" DLP 1080i tv and i've never watched HD on it the year or so i've had it... ive watched south park... lol (downloaded from xbox live) and game trailers also downloaded from xbox live and i play my xbox360 games in 1080i, but thats it, i've never actually watched a movie in HD... its just still too expensive. tho im planning on upgrading my tv computer to a more powerful one so that i can play the 720p shows that i download.

    but if you're plannning on watching blu-rays and playing the PS3 AND you have the viewing distance, than by all means, its worth the money.

  8. Software & Hardware   -   #8
    Busyman™'s Avatar Use Logic Or STFU!
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Posts
    4,262
    Quote Originally Posted by DaMan05 View Post
    i have a 67" DLP 1080i tv and i've never watched HD on it the year or so i've had it... ive watched south park... lol (downloaded from xbox live) and game trailers also downloaded from xbox live and i play my xbox360 games in 1080i, but thats it, i've never actually watched a movie in HD... its just still too expensive. tho im planning on upgrading my tv computer to a more powerful one so that i can play the 720p shows that i download.

    but if you're plannning on watching blu-rays and playing the PS3 AND you have the viewing distance, than by all means, its worth the money.
    You should be shot. You have a better TV than I do with a larger screen and you just fuck around with games.

    Don't you have cable TV? I watch Heroes, CSI, BSG (sometimes), Lost, 24, Supernaturnal, etc. all in full-screen HD.

    You waste that nice bright screen and again, you should be shot.

    Btw, I pay no more to watch in HD than regular TV. My 2-tuner DVR is also a HD box. I can record 1 show while watching another, record 2 shows, or even record 2 shows while watching something else I've recorded.

    They can both be HD or not although the HD shows take about triple the space.

    Did I mention you should be shot? Where the hell do you live anyway that you can't even receive over the air HD?

    East G-Blip or West Bubblefuck?

  9. Software & Hardware   -   #9
    DaMan05's Avatar GO HABS GO! BT Rep: +17BT Rep +17BT Rep +17BT Rep +17
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    HOME OF THE HABS!
    Posts
    460
    loll... my family doesnt rilly watch TV... all my sisters are married and live elsewhere and my brother doesnt rilly watch TV. i watch TV, but i download the shows and watch them on my TV but i have to download the 350mb ones cuz my processor on my TV PC cant handle anything better.

    i have dishnetwork and bell xpressvu but both of them are not HD, cuz im a person that pays for nothing and the good HD boxes for DN cant be hacked.. so i stick with the SD boxes.. i rarely ever watch TV live... and games in HD are SICK!!!

    ps... calm down buddy

  10. Software & Hardware   -   #10
    Busyman™'s Avatar Use Logic Or STFU!
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Posts
    4,262
    Quote Originally Posted by DaMan05 View Post
    loll... my family doesnt rilly watch TV... all my sisters are married and live elsewhere and my brother doesnt rilly watch TV. i watch TV, but i download the shows and watch them on my TV but i have to download the 350mb ones cuz my processor on my TV PC cant handle anything better.

    i have dishnetwork and bell xpressvu but both of them are not HD, cuz im a person that pays for nothing and the good HD boxes for DN cant be hacked.. so i stick with the SD boxes.. i rarely ever watch TV live... and games in HD are SICK!!!

    ps... calm down buddy
    I never watch TV live (unless I have friends over for a sporting event).

    I use a Phillips DVP-5960 DVD player w/USB port for downloads. It upconverts to HD (a newer one, 5986 I think, does 1080p). I mostly watch the 350MB downloads too and don't even use a PC with the big-screen....yet.

    It's just weird hearing someone has such a nice TV and for the most part, it's just wasted and used for the occassional 360 game.

    I recommend you at least get the 5986. It's only about $70 and it'll make your downloads look better (and your DVDs).

    Btw, what am I calming down for?

    You should be shot is all.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •