Thread: Any Swedish people willing to explain Yippee Ki-Yay MF?

I don't know Swedish but I like Swedish shows with Englsih (High Chaparall, Welcome to Sweden). Just today I watched Yippee Ki-Yay MF, which was almost entirely in Swedish and I was wondering if someone could explain a bit of it.

What I saw was two guys doing some sort of reality show. It showed them shooting guns and talking with gun experts a few times. There were a lot of movie clips from old American movies.
    Then there was a fascinating part where they talked with a self-defense expert on knife fighting in *English* and he showed them how to survive a knife fight.
    There were a few animated sections that looked funny because characters were dying in silly ways. They kept showing dolls that looked like the main characters.
    Then at the end, one of them got in a car, and they lowered it into a lake with a crane or something while he was in the car until it filled with water and then he was able to get out.

Could anyone give a general explanation as to what was going on?

2. Movies & TV   -   #2
    Poster
    The two hosts, Musse and Jarmo, are trying out different things you see in action movies (fighting, shooting, stunt driving etc) trying to figure out which one of them that would make the best action hero.
    I should add that Jarmo (the one with the moustache and glasses) is finnish, although he speaks swedish in the show.

3. Movies & TV   -   #3
    Thanks for the explanation! I think I may keep watching some of these.
    You don't really need to know the language to get the gist of it, esp after you explained the basic premise.

Do you know of any other Swedish shows that might be of interest?

It's a mystery to me that no-one ever makes fansubs of Swedish TV, I think a lot of it is really good, IMO

Quote Originally Posted by ap47 View Post
    The two hosts, Musse and Jarmo, are trying out different things you see in action movies (fighting, shooting, stunt driving etc) trying to figure out which one of them that would make the best action hero.
    I should add that Jarmo (the one with the moustache and glasses) is finnish, although he speaks swedish in the show.
    Last edited by torentcouple; 05-28-2007 at 06:10 PM.

4. Movies & TV   -   #4
    Poster
    Quote Originally Posted by torentcouple View Post
    You don't really need to know the language to get the gist of it, esp after you explained the basic premise.

It's a mystery to me that no-one ever makes fansubs of Swedish TV, I think a lot of it is really good, IMO
    Musse from Yippie Ki-Yay used to be in a quite similar show called "Rallarsving" where he and another guy travelled around the world visiting different martial artists. I think the american self-defense expert from Yippie Ki-Yay was featured in that show as well.

There are a couple of shows made by the people from High Chapparal as well (Ursäkta Röran, Grattis Världen and 100 Höjdare), but they're pretty much entirely in swedish. You might possibly get something out of Grattis Världen since that's a travel-show, but I don't think it would be worth watching for someone who doesn't know the swedish language.

5. Movies & TV   -   #5
    Thanks for the help. I've seen some of the names of those shows floating around, but didn't know the people from High Chap were responsible for some of them - High Chaparall is my very favorite of the Swedish TV! I'll have to try Rallarsving and Grattis Världen.

Someday when I have more money I'll pay someone to translate some Swedish TV, or perhaps try to find other people interested and do a "group buy" so to speak.

Quote Originally Posted by ap47 View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by torentcouple View Post

Musse from Yippie Ki-Yay used to be in a quite similar show called "Rallarsving" where he and another guy travelled around the world visiting different martial artists. I think the american self-defense expert from Yippie Ki-Yay was featured in that show as well.

There are a couple of shows made by the people from High Chapparal as well (Ursäkta Röran, Grattis Världen and 100 Höjdare), but they're pretty much entirely in swedish. You might possibly get something out of Grattis Världen since that's a travel-show, but I don't think it would be worth watching for someone who doesn't know the swedish language.