Your Ad Here Your Ad Here
Page 1 of 6 1234 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 60

Thread: Anyone willing to call him a "Hitler"?

  1. #1
    j2k4's Avatar en(un)lightened
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Location
    Oh, please...
    Posts
    15,254
    Hugo Chavez, I mean...you know, Castro's pal?

    http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/main.../wchavez30.xml
    “Think about how stupid the average person is, and then realize that half of 'em are stupider than that.” -George Carlin

  2. The Drawing Room   -   #2
    hitler is going a bit far, based on that article he's not even up to berlusconi levels of dodginess.

  3. The Drawing Room   -   #3
    vidcc's Avatar there is no god
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    5,630
    Gasp..... There are countries outside the USA that are not financially blockading a country "we" don't like.



    I thought conservatives supported closing/refusing licensing of TV channels.

    Actually it's just ones they find offensive (too much adult content) and those that they feel have a "liberal bias" don't give republican talking points priority, and it's not called "closing" but instead not funding with public money

    I am against government closing any media down for political reasons, I am however wondering what the view would be if a US media outlet was part of or supported a failed attempt to overthrow our government.

    No I am not willing to call him "Hitler" and quite frankly I think that the comparison is used inappropriately too often and has diminished the memory of how evil Hitler was.
    Last edited by vidcc; 05-28-2007 at 01:40 AM.

    it’s an election with no Democrats, in one of the whitest states in the union, where rich candidates pay $35 for your votes. Or, as Republicans call it, their vision for the future.

  4. The Drawing Room   -   #4
    j2k4's Avatar en(un)lightened
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Location
    Oh, please...
    Posts
    15,254
    Quote Originally Posted by vidcc View Post
    Gasp..... There are countries outside the USA that are not financially blockading a country "we" don't like.



    I thought conservatives supported closing/refusing licensing of TV channels.

    Actually it's just ones they find offensive (too much adult content) and those that they feel have a "liberal bias" don't give republican talking points priority, and it's not called "closing" but instead not funding with public money

    I am against government closing any media down for political reasons, I am however wondering what the view would be if a US media outlet was part of or supported a failed attempt to overthrow our government.

    No I am not willing to call him "Hitler" and quite frankly I think that the comparison is used inappropriately too often and has diminished the memory of how evil Hitler was.
    In case you hadn't noticed, Air America failed of it's own accord, not because of any conservative impulse (financial corruption and insipid content were the largest factors), and PBS and NPR (Bill Moyers' s networks) are in fine shape.

    I'll bet you can't/don't/won't give the Dem's Fairness Doctrine a correct read, either.

    I'm also betting you will never get an honest handle on what any conservative believes.

    So, then:

    We'll put you down as a Chavez fan/defender, eh?
    “Think about how stupid the average person is, and then realize that half of 'em are stupider than that.” -George Carlin

  5. The Drawing Room   -   #5
    j2k4's Avatar en(un)lightened
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Location
    Oh, please...
    Posts
    15,254
    Quote Originally Posted by ilw View Post
    hitler is going a bit far, based on that article he's not even up to berlusconi levels of dodginess.
    Berlusconi is gone, I believe, replaced by a really fairminded, uh, replacement.

    All of Italy sighs in relief.
    “Think about how stupid the average person is, and then realize that half of 'em are stupider than that.” -George Carlin

  6. The Drawing Room   -   #6
    His replacement is a bit of a non-entity, but whats with the disgruntled smilie? Berlusconi was a corrupt little shit.
    Much of Italy did sigh in relief

  7. The Drawing Room   -   #7
    HeavyMetalParkingLot's Avatar Poster
    Join Date
    Jun 2003
    Location
    Manhattan
    Posts
    1,855
    Quote Originally Posted by vidcc View Post
    and it's not called "closing" but instead not funding with public money
    No, I'm sure it's called closing when the military comes in and take your broadcasting equipment away...
    Last edited by HeavyMetalParkingLot; 05-28-2007 at 01:37 PM.

  8. The Drawing Room   -   #8
    RTFM's Avatar <? print "BCC"; ?> BT Rep: +6BT Rep +6
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Posts
    533
    Anyone willing to call jk24 stupid?


  9. The Drawing Room   -   #9
    vidcc's Avatar there is no god
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    5,630
    Quote Originally Posted by j2k4 View Post

    In case you hadn't noticed, Air America failed of it's own accord, not because of any conservative impulse (financial corruption and insipid content were the largest factors), and PBS and NPR (Bill Moyers' s networks) are in fine shape.

    I'll bet you can't/don't/won't give the Dem's Fairness Doctrine a correct read, either.

    I'm also betting you will never get an honest handle on what any conservative believes.

    So, then:

    We'll put you down as a Chavez fan/defender, eh?
    What does Air America have to do with anything? (which is still running with new backing). BTW fox lost far more money in it's first years before it found a footing, just their backer had deeper pockets.
    I mentioned Adult channels, which conservatives wish taken down and public broadcasting funding, which conservatives wish to stop because they claim public broadcasting has a liberal agenda.

    As for Chavez, there are some things I agree with him about and some I disagree.
    My post just put a bit of perspective in. The USA would close down any TV station that supported a failed by force government take over . That you may support (or at least not object to) the attempt to have the election process overturned by coup in Venezuela because you disagree with the political doctrines of Chavez is irrelevant to the issue.


    On the democratic fairness doctrine I am against political control of the media. I was against the right wing calls for government control of the media when they broke news embarrassing to the administration such as the fact that they are bypassing FISA and listening to American phone calls without warrant, and I am against control of political opinion shows.
    I am certainly against government controls on bias.

    I just wish the media would do it's job and report accurate news.



    I'm also betting you will never get an honest handle on what any conservative believes.
    Actually I agree there, because "conservatives" have evolved beyond recognition into many different sub species. Which is kind of ironic because the new species are more hard line against the theory of evolution. True Conservatives are almost extinct.
    Last edited by vidcc; 05-28-2007 at 06:35 PM.

    it’s an election with no Democrats, in one of the whitest states in the union, where rich candidates pay $35 for your votes. Or, as Republicans call it, their vision for the future.

  10. The Drawing Room   -   #10
    vidcc's Avatar there is no god
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    5,630
    Quote Originally Posted by HeavyMetalParkingLot View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by vidcc View Post
    and it's not called "closing" but instead not funding with public money
    No, I'm sure it's called closing when the military comes in and take your broadcasting equipment away...
    I agree with what you say, however in the snip you quoted I was talking about "conservatives" wanting to close adult channels and in particular with public funding they wish to de-fund public broadcasting because they think it has a liberal bias.
    You appear to have mixed this up with Venezuela.
    Last edited by vidcc; 05-28-2007 at 03:46 PM.

    it’s an election with no Democrats, in one of the whitest states in the union, where rich candidates pay $35 for your votes. Or, as Republicans call it, their vision for the future.

Page 1 of 6 1234 ... LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •