Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Why does gravity and acceleration feel and act the same?

i have a question....someone told me we are moving at about 60,000 miles an hour or something. Why do we not feel any of that? If the earth was to suddenly stop,would we all fly forwards like when a bus brakes?

2. Lounge   -   #12
    Virtualbody1234's Avatar Forum Star BT Rep: +2

3. Lounge   -   #13
    Quote Originally Posted by MaxOverlord View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Skerven View Post
    Or rather, because gravity is a deluded concept. There is only acceleration. The Earth doesn't pull us down with "gravitrons" or unseen "gravity waves"; the Earth is accelerating upwards at 32 feet per second squared.

Prove me wrong.
    Last edited by MaxOverlord : Today at 02:12 AM. Reason: Too tired to get into this right now.

4. Lounge   -   #14
    Busyman™'s Avatar Use Logic Or STFU!
    Quote Originally Posted by jimbo12345 View Post
    i have a question....someone told me we are moving at about 60,000 miles an hour or something. Why do we not feel any of that? If the earth was to suddenly stop,would we all fly forwards like when a bus brakes?
    We'd float off into space.

5. Lounge   -   #15
    thewizeard's Avatar re-member BT Rep: +1
    Thats because they are both cosmic apples only growing on different trees.

It would surely be better not to assume that we all understand what gravity or acceleration is.

Describe first that and any possible relationship between them. That way we shall have a chance of seeing if your statement is correct or that you might have made an incorrect statement ...and that I strongly suspect.

6. Lounge   -   #16
    Chip Monk's Avatar Darth Monk Like.
    If the Earth stopped moving very suddenly the forces involved would rip it apart so the question is meaningless.

If that didn't happen (for some mental reason) we certainly wouldn't float off into space. Gravity has nothing whatsoever to do with whether an object is moving or not. If the Earth stopped moving suddenly then everything on it would keep moving in the same direction and speed as they were before. Think of star trek and inertial dampening. If that didn't work then when the Enterprise shot off at high speed Captain Kirk's inertia would keep him in the same place and the back wall would run into him. The same works in reverse.

Gravity is proportionate to the mass of two objects and their distance apart. So the bigger they are and the closer together the higher the force. It's not really a force as such anyway. It's more like the mass of the object warping space time around it and creating a gravity well for other things to "fall into".

Acceleration is a change in velocity. Given that velocity is vector, then either a change in speed (up or down) or a change in direction, would be acceleration. We know that Force = Mass x Acceleration, therefore Acceleration is equal to the Force being used Divided by the mass of the object.

Acceleration due to Gravity is always 9.81m/sec/sec. Therefore we also know that the force being exerted is increased as the mass of the object increases. As discussed earlier.

What was the question again.
    You do not need to see my I.D.

7. Lounge   -   #17
    We'd all just implode.

8. Lounge   -   #18
    Quote Originally Posted by Chip Monk View Post
    If the Earth stopped moving very suddenly the forces involved would rip it apart so the question is meaningless.

If that didn't happen (for some mental reason) we certainly wouldn't float off into space. Gravity has nothing whatsoever to do with whether an object is moving or not. If the Earth stopped moving suddenly then everything on it would keep moving in the same direction and speed as they were before. Think of star trek and inertial dampening. If that didn't work then when the Enterprise shot off at high speed Captain Kirk's inertia would keep him in the same place and the back wall would run into him. The same works in reverse.

Gravity is proportionate to the mass of two objects and their distance apart. So the bigger they are and the closer together the higher the force. It's not really a force as such anyway. It's more like the mass of the object warping space time around it and creating a gravity well for other things to "fall into".

Acceleration is a change in velocity. Given that velocity is vector, then either a change in speed (up or down) or a change in direction, would be acceleration. We know that Force = Mass x Acceleration, therefore Acceleration is equal to the Force being used Divided by the mass of the object.

Acceleration due to Gravity is always 9.81m/sec/sec. Therefore we also know that the force being exerted is increased as the mass of the object increases. As discussed earlier.

I loike Properly Ho Loike's answer betterer.

9. Lounge   -   #19
    Quote Originally Posted by thewizeard View Post
    Thats because they are both cosmic apples only growing on different trees.

It would surely be better not to assume that we all understand what gravity or acceleration is.

Describe first that and any possible relationship between them. That way we shall have a chance of seeing if your statement is correct or that you might have made an incorrect statement ...and that I strongly suspect.
    It isn't correct though.

I wonder how many people looked at the first post and said, "hmmmm he's got a point."

10. Lounge   -   #20
    Quote Originally Posted by Chip Monk View Post

Chip Monk, good stuff. i feel i learnt today.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast