Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Thinking of trying and need some info

mbucari1's Avatar Poster BT Rep: +35BT Rep +35BT Rep +35BT Rep +35BT Rep +35BT Rep +35BT Rep +35
    hello. I was thinking of trying usenet, but i need some info on it. ok, I guess I can start by posing a few questions.

1. are there multiple servers/companies that I can choose from?
    2. what are the prices?
    3. are there datatraffic limits?
    4. are they ftp servers, or do they have their own protocol?
    Thanks.

2. Newsgroups   -   #2
    Ne'tu's Avatar Member BT Rep: +12BT Rep +12BT Rep +12
    1. Yes
    2. 10 - 30 USD/month
    3. No
    4. Own protocol

3. Newsgroups   -   #3
    brotherdoobie's Avatar Long live Hissyfit BT Rep: +1
    1. Yes

2. Free if you use your ISPs newserver. The retention times (the amount of time the files are on the server of your provider.) usually suck...7-30 days. However, it's a great way to try out Usenet.

If you want to pay for a news server (which is usually your best bet, depending on your needs). There are a few choices..with different pricing schemes.

Most news servers give you the choice of a metered or unlimited account. (example: Giganews offers an unlimited account with 20 connections and 10 bonus SSL encrypted connections for $19.00 a month) A typical metered account runs around $13.00 for 25 gigs.

3. Yes and no. Some ISPs cap their news servers speeds...others don't. If you go with a paid server you're going to max out your connection.

4. NNTP is the main protocol. (client-server)

Peace, Paul
    Last edited by brotherdoobie; 06-18-2007 at 08:39 AM.

4. Newsgroups   -   #4
    mbucari1's Avatar Poster BT Rep: +35BT Rep +35BT Rep +35BT Rep +35BT Rep +35BT Rep +35BT Rep +35
    all, right, I got in with newshosting. I got newsleeche and started downloading headers. but this is taking quite a while to do, especially for this one site that has over 40M. also, is it just hit and miss? kep checking servers until you find one (if you find one) that has what you're looking for?

5. Newsgroups   -   #5
    here and there
    you could try newzbin or other indexing sites like that. i myself am a newzbin fan. really rocks, even though it's a pay service. but cheap anyways.

6. Newsgroups   -   #6
    D/L'ng headers is the base way, if your newsreader can 'filter' the results (i.e., get nfo, nzb, ect. type files) that will improve the result, Newzbin in at the top of the indexing sites, cost is around 25cents/US per week, but many sites (including this one, IMHO) do a fair job of listing as well, including many that (believe it or not!) that Newzbin 'misses'. I think a lot of the 'editors' there are a bit lazy, then again, they are 'paid' in free access, so the result is a bit variable at times.

There are many sites (and newsreaders) that will generate nzb files as well, if you have the posted basic name of the file. Even if the nzb is posted here, I'll simply grab the filename and do a search myself, letting the newsreader generate the nzb, or go to one of those nzb sites.

But again, over the years (9+ years going on with usenet binaries), I've learned to keep a good eye on several groups with header d/l's every day or so. There are ways to get it faster (Giganews has been testing a 'turbo' header system) but you need to narrow your groups you're interesting in and concentrate your 'deep search' that way. I 'watch' about 10 groups that way, takes about 20min/day worth of (computer) time to get them. Worth it, as at least 3-4 times a week I trip across something I like, that arn't listed either here or on sites like Newzbin. But that's just me.

7. Newsgroups   -   #7
    Quote Originally Posted by mbucari1 View Post
    all, right, I got in with newshosting.
    Well hope you got on with the refferal link we have on the site.
    Think NewsHosting is a great choice also.

I got newsleeche and started downloading headers. but this is taking quite a while to do, especially for this one site that has over 40M. also, is it just hit and miss? kep checking servers until you find one (if you find one) that has what you're looking for?
    If NewsLeecher you have has SuperSearch you should try that. Your able to create nzb files and grab directly from the search results. Think most dont do headers these days. If you do find the popular groups that have the most content your looking for. Go to the Manager tab in NewsLeecher then click Subscribe to Groups and enter a key word and sort by Popularity count. Check out some of the free seach sites also...
    http://www.binsearch.info/
    http://www.newzleech.com/

8. Newsgroups   -   #8
    fstrulz's Avatar got milf? BT Rep: +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100
    Quote Originally Posted by RealitY View Post
    Well hope you got on with the refferal link we have on the site.
    Think NewsHosting is a great choice also.
    $$$ch-ching$$$ lol

9. Newsgroups   -   #9
    Thank you for the tips guys. I guess it will have to work a lil at it, but I usually pick things up pretty quickly. But if anyone has any links to free search engines, I'd love to try them.

And @ reality, I made sure to use the afil link

10. Newsgroups   -   #10
    why pay when you can have it for free!!!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast