Thread: Installing Vista...anyone?

Elvenmunky's Avatar Day Sleeper
    how do i format a partitioned sata hdd and freshly install vista...(on a partition)?

i got winxp too
    Last edited by Elvenmunky; 05-30-2007 at 03:17 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
    "Our generation has had no Great Depression, no Great War.
    Our war is spiritual. Our depression is our lives." - Tyler Durden

2. Software & Hardware   -   #2
    mbucari1's Avatar Poster BT Rep: +35BT Rep +35BT Rep +35BT Rep +35BT Rep +35BT Rep +35BT Rep +35
    Quote Originally Posted by Elvenmunky View Post
    how do i format a partitioned sata hdd and freshly install vista...(on a partition)?

i got winxp too
    do you want to keep any data on the disk you are partitioning, or can you wipe the entire disk?

If you just want to format the entire disk and setup a partition, you can do it during installation (recomended).

I wouldn't make a partition with say partition magic and attempt to install.

3. Software & Hardware   -   #3
    im going to copy the data to an external, and yes i want to set up a partition during installation. what are the steps in going through this?

4. Software & Hardware   -   #4
    delimare's Avatar Polyamorous BT Rep: +2
    Quote Originally Posted by Elvenmunky View Post
    im going to copy the data to an external, and yes i want to set up a partition during installation. what are the steps in going through this?
    I've never done it myself (never cared to partition) but as you already know it gives you that option during installation. Just select that option and I'm sure it will walk you through it like it does everything else. It can't be that difficult... I would think the most intense part would be allotting your preferred disk space per partition, but that would be a cake walk even for a monkey.
    Last edited by delimare; 05-31-2007 at 03:42 AM.

5. Software & Hardware   -   #5
    MaxOverlord's Avatar Simplify
    I installed Vista Home Premium a few months ago. Completely sucked my system of performance. Need at least 1gig of ram to even enjoy(so I've heard)
    I tried to re-install XP and it raped my comp!!
    Good luck.

Partition Magic is excellent...you could just cold boot. You can set up a new partition then.
    Just boot from CD.

P.S Love the Tyler Durden quote. Norton was better than Pitt..IMO.
    Last edited by MaxOverlord; 05-31-2007 at 04:00 AM. Reason: How long have you got?
    You just keep pushing. You just keep pushing. I made every mistake that could be made. But I just kept pushing..... Descartes

6. Software & Hardware   -   #6
    mbucari1's Avatar Poster BT Rep: +35BT Rep +35BT Rep +35BT Rep +35BT Rep +35BT Rep +35BT Rep +35
    when installing, you will get to a section where it asks you to specify a hard disk for instalation. On the bottom, goto advanced. First, delete all of the partitions on the disk where you will install vista. Then, create a new partition (will have an option that says something like "new partition"). Specify the size of the new partition (MS says min 20GB, but I have done it w/ 10 on virtual machine). After that, click on the new partition and click next. Vista will install on that partition. After instalation, goto control panel classic view>administrative tools>computer management>disk management and create a new partition for unallocated space on the disk (Make it a primary partition and the rest is pretty much intuitive).
    Last edited by mbucari1; 05-31-2007 at 04:06 PM.

7. Software & Hardware   -   #7
    wow thanx guys! this forum is the best for getting help im telling you...and Tyler is too kool!