Page 12 of 16 FirstFirst ... 29101112131415 ... LastLast

Thread: A complete guide to English language

thewizeard's Avatar re-member BT Rep: +1
    Quote Originally Posted by Skweeky View Post
    Indeed.

Eventually all shall bow to my will
    Right, sooner or later; ( is a semi- colon ok here?) so they might just as well get used to it now ..

2. Lounge   -   #112
    mbucari1's Avatar Poster BT Rep: +35BT Rep +35BT Rep +35BT Rep +35BT Rep +35BT Rep +35BT Rep +35
    Quote Originally Posted by thewizeard View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Skweeky View Post
    Indeed.

Eventually all shall bow to my will
    Right, sooner or later; ( is a semi- colon ok here?) so they might just as well get used to it now ..
    No, a semicolon is inappropriate. Compound sentences are structured in 3 ways...
    1. 2 independent clauses are joined by a comma and a coordinating conjunction (for, and, nor, but, or, yet, so).
    2. 2 independent clauses are joined by a conjunctive adverb (however, in addition, instead, etc.) which is preceded by a semicolon and followed by a comma.
    3. 2 independent clauses are joined by a lone semicolon.
    Your sentence used a hybrid or types 1 and 3. One correct way to rephrase that would be to replace the semicolon with a comma.

3. Lounge   -   #113
    Quote Originally Posted by mbucari1 View Post

No, a semicolon is inappropriate. Compound sentences are structured in 3 ways...
    1. 2 independent clauses are joined by a comma and a coordinating conjunction (for, and, nor, but, or, yet, so).
    2. 2 independent clauses are joined by a conjunctive adverb (however, in addition, instead, etc.) which is preceded by a semicolon and followed by a comma.
    Your sentence used a hybrid or types 1 and 3. One correct way to rephrase that would be to replace the semicolon with a comma.

I think it's time for you to return to the BitTorrent forums they need your help more than teh Lizards.

Lesson one, in all English language lessons to be held in teh Lounge, is listen carefully and look and understand what the teacher is actually saying. Her word is law. It's is not to be discussed and brought into disrepute in any way. It's similar to a very well know cosmic law, which considering the scope of this thread; and anyway..we are only just approaching the term known as adjective. (semi-colons are smelly) What Skweeky says is English as English was meant to be written. So off you go, to a forum that needs your help more than this one. ( while you are there you can trade a few invites); and also mention to your class, that three words don't a sentence and hardly a phrase Or does it, Skweeky? Also never ever jest or make the teacher, before the class, appear to have got it wrong. That's capital. Also have you ever seen Skweeky in fighting dress.. with her whip?
    Last edited by thewizeard; 06-09-2007 at 11:26 PM. Reason: Lesson two is check lesson one

4. Lounge   -   #114
    mbucari1's Avatar Poster BT Rep: +35BT Rep +35BT Rep +35BT Rep +35BT Rep +35BT Rep +35BT Rep +35

I think it's time for you to return to the BitTorrent forums they need your help more than teh Lizards.

Lesson one, in all English language lessons to be held in teh Lounge, is listen carefully and look and understand what the teacher is actually saying. Her word is law. It's is not to be discussed and brought into disrepute in any way. It's similar to a very well know cosmic law, which considering the scope of this thread; and anyway..we are only just approaching the term known as adjective. (semi-colons are smelly) What Skweeky says is English as English was meant to be written. So off you go, to a forum that needs your help more than this one. ( while you are there you can trade a few invites); and also mention to your class, that three words don't a sentence and hardly a phrase Or does it, Skweeky? Also never ever jest or make the teacher, before the class, appear to have got it wrong. That's capital. Also have you ever seen Skweeky in fighting dress.. with her whip?
    Are you upset that I corrected your English? You shouldn't be, after all you were the one who asked. BTW, I think I'll be hanging out in the lounge for a while. I like it here , and I don't trade anymore.

As for Skweeky, I have yet to see her in this forum.

5. Lounge   -   #115
    Hairbautt's Avatar *haircut
    She'll pop-up. Just remember to hold yourself down.
    _________________________________________________________________________________________
    Last edited by Alien5; Jun 6th, 2006 at
    06:36 PM..

6. Lounge   -   #116

Are you upset that I corrected your English? You shouldn't be, after all you were the one who asked. BTW, I think I'll be hanging out in the lounge for a while. I like it here , and I don't trade anymore.

Not at all. You really must not jump to conclusions, that post you " corrected" was an otherwise failed attempt to pacify Skweeky, I thought you had probably missed that! Check Skweeky's post prior to my "erroneous" one. I really think you should be more attentive and show more understanding regarding the female psyche.

7. Lounge   -   #117
    Skweeky's Avatar Manker's web totty
    There shall be no classes today due to the teacher being severely hung over

8. Lounge   -   #118

Not at all. You really must not jump to conclusions, that post you " corrected" was an otherwise failed attempt to pacify Skweeky, I thought you had probably missed that! Check Skweeky's post prior to my "erroneous" one. I really think you should be more attentive and show more understanding regarding the female psyche.
    Well, I've always been a little oblivious to the obvious and scrutinizing of small details. As for understanding the female psyche, I'm 20 years old. I have no interest in a relationship and haven't pursued one since I broke up with my girlfriend in high school. I have no interest in learning atm.

9. Lounge   -   #119
    Now say something useful mbucari1

10. Lounge   -   #120
    Like ..poor teacher or an apple a day... no better not, too late for that one however you get the gist..

Page 12 of 16 FirstFirst ... 29101112131415 ... LastLast