Thread: Newsleecher not running as fast as it should!

Killian12321
    Hey guys,

I've been using Newsgroups for well over a year now and used to get around 450Kb/s on a 4Mb connection. The speed started to drop recently though thought nothing of it and after upgrading to a 10Mb the speed seems to have dropped down even more!

If I download from VirginMedias gamefile site then I get over 1Mb/s but Newsleecher is only giving on average 250Kb/s. Can you guys think of anything that would affect the Newshosting service from my comp or could Newshosting be having problems on their end?

Have tried speed tests online and get on average of over 900Kb/s so am stumped as to why Newsleecher won't run that fast.

Any ideas?

2. Newsgroups   -   #2
    Um, maybe you want to try and download another newsreader to test out and see what speeds you get. Newsleecher really doesnt have much of anything to do with your speeds, its really your usenet provider. Download another reader with a free trial and if the speeds are better you can rule out newsleecher and then complain to newshosting about your speed problems.

If you didnt change any settings on newsleecher, i dont think it would cause your speed to suddenly drop.

3. Newsgroups   -   #3
    Dean141's Avatar Razer
    Ive got exactly the same problem im on thundernews and ive got 10 meg i download at speeds of 900kbs hehe but i want moreeee any tips?

4. Newsgroups   -   #4
    Killian12321
    I contacted Newshosting and they said to change my port number. Did that and the speeds are up now, get anythin from 500 - 1200 : ) Very fast downloads!

5. Newsgroups   -   #5
    supe32978
    Quote Originally Posted by Killian12321 View Post
    I contacted Newshosting and they said to change my port number. Did that and the speeds are up now, get anythin from 500 - 1200 : ) Very fast downloads!

What did you change your port numbers too? my download speeds have dropped considerably.