Thread: see monthly bandwith usage on linux seedbox

KFlint's Avatar ... BT Rep: +35BT Rep +35BT Rep +35BT Rep +35BT Rep +35BT Rep +35BT Rep +35
    Hi,

Anyone knows if there is a way to see the monthly bandwith usage in real time on a linux box?

I have a tools on the leaseweb self service that get updated every 24 hours and it's fine for the major part of the month, but when i'm close to my limit, i need to see it with more precision.

as you know it's extremely expensive to bust the limit so i want to avoid that while getting the maximum of what i pay for

Thx for your help!

2. BitTorrent   -   #2
    Poster BT Rep: +45BT Rep +45BT Rep +45BT Rep +45BT Rep +45BT Rep +45BT Rep +45BT Rep +45BT Rep +45
    You need to use vnstat but it needed to be installed when you got the box to log all the usage.

3. BitTorrent   -   #3
    KFlint's Avatar ... BT Rep: +35BT Rep +35BT Rep +35BT Rep +35BT Rep +35BT Rep +35BT Rep +35
    ok thx!

i did the install of vnstat

two questions :

i have two ip configured for my network (for the same device), interfaces are named eth0 and eth0:1

1 - when i add the interface eth0 to vnstat, no problem. But it says "eth0:1 interface not found" when adding the second, i guess i do not have to add it since it's physically the same device, right?
    2 - actually i get login as: eth0: Not enough data available yet. when running vnstat -h. How long should it take before i have my stats?

Thx!
    Last edited by KFlint; 05-31-2007 at 06:24 PM.