Thread: netwurking

Mr. Mulder's Avatar pepper your angus BT Rep: +10BT Rep +10
    got a client who's got an ADSL modem upstairs, a wireless router in the middle and a machine that connects wirelessly downstairs - trying to get the two to lezz out together but they're not seeing each other? made sure they're on the same workgroup and upstairs can't ping downstairs, packets send 4 received 0 (sounds as if it were dial-up)- any ideas? Can't give you any more info other than what’s here as I can't dial into either machine until 2 this afternoon, disabled the windows firewall but didn't get a chance to see if it made any change - any ideas? could it be a problem with the watermelon?

2. Software & Hardware   -   #2
    Only in a Processor.
    Ok, if I read this correct, your client has his modem connected to the router with an ethernet cable, and they have their computer upstairs connected to the router with an ethernet cable, and the computer downstairs connected to it via wireless. The computers don't have to be on the same work group, they should be able to see each other just fine, if they are properly connected to the router that is. Make sure s/he has the most up-to-date version of his/her routers firmware, and make sure that both the computers do not have the same IP address by mistake.

PS. That watermelon looks juicy.
    Only in a computer will I find happiness.

3. Software & Hardware   -   #3
    lynx's Avatar .
    I read that differently.

I see that as a USB modem (that's what the picture is) connected to the upstairs PC. Then an ethernet connection (maybe working, maybe not) between the upstairs PC and the router. Finally a second PC connected to the router via wireless.

Also, I'm guessing that the upstairs PC is connected to the router via the WAN port. If so, that's certainly wrong, it should connect to one of the LAN ports, but that's only the start of your problems.

This sounds like a crazy setup, and is never going to work properly. You need to replace the USB modem with one which supports ethernet connection. Connect the WAN port of the router to the modem, and connect the upstairs PC to one of the LAN ports.

Of course, it would have been much simpler if your client had bought a wireless modem/router in the first place.
    Political correctness is based on the principle that it's possible to pick up a turd by the clean end.

4. Software & Hardware   -   #4
    to make things even more homo they had two isps!1 BT and talk talk :/

told them to pick one isp just so they'd go away for a bit

(its a well known fact that multiple isps can seriously harm watermelons)

5. Software & Hardware   -   #5
    lynx's Avatar .
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Mulder View Post
    to make things even more homo they had two isps!1 BT and talk talk :/

told them to pick one isp just so they'd go away for a bit

(its a well known fact that multiple isps can seriously harm watermelons)
    Yes, just look at what happened here.

Political correctness is based on the principle that it's possible to pick up a turd by the clean end.

6. Software & Hardware   -   #6
    that's some serious user error

7. Software & Hardware   -   #7
    4play's Avatar knob jockey
    Have you tired using the watermelon to check if the machine downstairs has actually connected to the wireless router. then i suppose i would switch nat off so its just a switch and you should be able to see each other.

It would be worth checking to see if the router has a modem and using this to connect to tinternet rather then a crappy usb modem.
    If it isnt i would try and get them to buy one. you might have to sell it with the nat is a natural firewall so its safer angle or even the you dont need the upstairs machine on to access the internet downstairs then. hell even the trusted it will make your e-penis bigger one might work.