Thread: Help with movie volume?

Insanity
    some movies i downloaded has really extremely soft volume.. is there anyway i can solve this problem?

2. Software & Hardware   -   #2
    mr. nails's Avatar m@D @n!m3 BT Rep: +1
    install klcp and boost ac3 (if it's ac3 codec). inside mpc go to view, options, audio switcher and then boost volume. also, if u have ffdshow installed maybe enable mp3 audio codec so it will help boost volume as well.
    Alamo Drafthouse!

Last Game Completed: Aliens: Colonial Marines (PC) 10-13-13
    Now Playing: Paper Mario 64
    Total Games Completed: 503

3. Software & Hardware   -   #3
    Ac3 audio is typically half the volume of mp3 or wav, the above mentioned fix as well as the installation of Ac3Filter will allow you to boost the volume when you watch a video with ac3 audio. To permenantly fix the situation though you will have to do something more drastic.

Google "Virtual Dub Aud-X Enabled" Its the ac3 version of V Dub, if the video you load gives a vbr warning its best to first convert the audio to uncompressed PCM wav then to ac3 again with a volume boost of 246% to avoid sync problems. The whole time leave the video section in Direct Stream mode so no reencoding is done to the video section. If there's no warning do an ac3 to ac3 with the 246% boost by right clicking the audio in the streams section and selecting the appropriate functions. If your concerned with the final size, make sure you select the same audio bitrate as the original, gspot can help with that as well as spotting vbr audio before you load the video.

4. Software & Hardware   -   #4
    Insanity
    Thanks but when you re-encode, you lose quality or same?
    Last edited by validz; 06-06-2007 at 03:39 PM.

5. Software & Hardware   -   #5
    Quote Originally Posted by validz View Post
    Thanks but when you re-encode, you lose quality or same?
    Not exactly true. If you set Virtual Dubs Video section to Direct Stream, no reencoding of the video takes place, only the audio is affected cause its set to full processing. Reencoding audio from say 128kb/s ac3 to 128kb/s ac3 with a 246% boost in volume will give you increased audio volume with no apparent loss of quality. Sure there is a slight loss but its imperceptable.

Reencoding audio is not the same as reencoding video, the loss of quality only comes if you drop the bit rate or reencode many times, over and over again.

I do it all the time, any video I download that has vbr audio gets reencoded to cbr, this way I know that in the future if I decide to code back to dvd the avi file I keep will do so with no sync problems. I also have a dvd player for the tv that will play avi's so I can put 6 avi's on one dvd, and I know from experience that avi's with vbr audio often play choppy or not at all on my set. If I download a video with mp3 vbr audio I always reencode it to ac3 cbr with a 246% boost (unless the audio is already too loud then I don't boost and let the ac3 drop the volume for me). When it comes to boosting audio, since I often put 6 avi's onto one dvd I first play them all on my pc to compair their loudness and decide whether to boost or not. That way all the videos end up close to the same volume before I burn.
    Last edited by Appzalien; 06-08-2007 at 03:39 AM.

6. Software & Hardware   -   #6
    kayvanblue's Avatar Poster BT Rep: +11BT Rep +11BT Rep +11
    you need "ac3filter" to be instaled on your system...search for it in google...play around with its option till you get the right volume...trust me thats all you need.