Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Firefox 2.0 Bites the Dust! IE7 at Fault!

Hairbautt's Avatar *haircut
    Mozilla debuts automatic updates of Firefox 2.0

Mozilla's run with Firefox is near its end, as the open source browser is out of breath. In contrast, Microsoft's Internet Explorer 7 has brought new life to the ubiquitous, but dormant and eroded IE browser. IE7 managed to beat Firefox 2.0 to the market by a few days, but this is a detail, which delivers little relevance on the long run. And Firefox 2.0 has held its own, constantly increasing its market share in the detriment of Internet Explorer as if Microsoft had never revealed version 7 of the browser.

After making IE7 available for download on October 18, 2006, Microsoft introduced the browser as an update on November 13, five days after Windows Vista was released to manufacturing. "Don’t be surprised if you see AU distribute new updates for Windows in November, but don’t see IE7. The rate of delivery and when IE7 reaches you will be based on several factors including the release of other higher priority updates and support call volume. You may have IE7 delivered by AU at any time over the next few months. Of course you can go to the Windows Update website and get it whenever you wish," stated Tony Chor, IE Group Program Manager at the time as Microsoft debuted IE7 worldwide distribution by Automatic Updates.

Well, Mozilla is a little late, but also ready to catch up with Microsoft. As the final update for Firefox 1.5 was released at the end of May 2007, signaling the end of support for version 1.5, Mozilla is also getting ready to push Firefox 2.0 as an update for 1.5 users. Firefox 1.5.0.12 users will begin receiving major update notifications. Hitting yes will automatically upgrade Firefox 1.5 to Firefox 2.0.

Mozilla's decision comes as Firefox has lost its hold on the browser market dropping almost 1% from April to May. But while Firefox dropped from 15.42% to 14.54%, Internet Explorer increased its market share from 78.03% to 78.67%. In this context it seems that the increasing Windows Vista adoption is doing for IE7 what the Automatic Update process has failed to accomplish, converting IE7 users. The 40 million Vista licenses sold in the first month of availability have taken their toll on Firefox, as new users seem to prefer the default IE7 installation in Microsoft's latest operating system.

Source: Softpedia
    Last edited by Hairbautt; 06-06-2007 at 07:33 PM. Reason: fixed image...oops.
    _________________________________________________________________________________________
    Last edited by Alien5; Jun 6th, 2006 at
    06:36 PM..

2. News (Archive)   -   #2
    mbucari1's Avatar Poster BT Rep: +35BT Rep +35BT Rep +35BT Rep +35BT Rep +35BT Rep +35BT Rep +35
    Well, I guess I'm in the minority. I absolutely LOVE firefox and have been a loyal user for years. The only times I have used IE7 were when I wanted to validats vista/office 07 and checking MS's website. But I use FF for everything else.

Let me say that even if firefox started charging for their browser, I would pay for a license. This is really saying something because I haven't bought any software in over a year.

3. News (Archive)   -   #3
    asmithz's Avatar Hi-Definition
    I feel the same, IE has nothing to offer me. Except that it is a mess of a copy of Firefox. Even if I needed to use microsoft.com, all i have to do is add http://www.microsoft.com/* to IE tab.

4. News (Archive)   -   #4
    Busyman™'s Avatar Use Logic Or STFU!
    Why do people say M$ copied Firefox when Firefox was hardly the first tabbed browser? Feature-wise it is a better browser but Mozilla did not invent tabbed browsing.

5. News (Archive)   -   #5
    signalearth's Avatar ~SurrenderToTheFlow~ BT Rep: +3
    love Firefox, really dislike IE

6. News (Archive)   -   #6
    MaxOverlord's Avatar Simplify
    Firefox is my browser of choice with the exception of IE for certain things like watching MLB.TV. Other than that I use Firefox exclusively.
    You just keep pushing. You just keep pushing. I made every mistake that could be made. But I just kept pushing..... Descartes

7. News (Archive)   -   #7
    Hairbautt's Avatar *haircut
    I just want one ULTIMATE browser, ffs. If M$ didn't give the shyt about "IE only" I'd use FF, too.
    _________________________________________________________________________________________
    Last edited by Alien5; Jun 6th, 2006 at
    06:36 PM..

8. News (Archive)   -   #8
    asmithz's Avatar Hi-Definition
    Quote Originally Posted by Busyman™ View Post
    Why do people say M$ copied Firefox when Firefox was hardly the first tabbed browser? Feature-wise it is a better browser but Mozilla did not invent tabbed browsing.
    Doesn't matter who invented tabbed browsing. Fact is that IE was last to implement it. On top of that, they did a horrible job at it.

I am optimistic, I have given IE a chance in the past. I find the browser to have a horrible looking interface. I find it slow and sluggish. Not customizable enough. One big factor, is no AdBlock Plus (IE has a good pop-up blocker, but ads can be just as annoying). I can't live without that :-p

Quote Originally Posted by MaxOverlord
    Firefox is my browser of choice with the exception of IE for certain things like watching MLB.TV. Other than that I use Firefox exclusively.
    This is one problem that Firefox has that I dislike. Unlike IE where if you don't like something you can't fix it. Firefox has extensions that you can use to make Firefox a better browser for you.

The extension that that i think will help you out is called MediaWrap
    Last edited by asmithz; 06-07-2007 at 06:54 AM.

9. News (Archive)   -   #9
    Poster BT Rep: +25BT Rep +25BT Rep +25BT Rep +25BT Rep +25
    firefox is the bomb! I love it, wont go back to IE...ever.

10. News (Archive)   -   #10
    Yeah, I use FF over IE. I just LOVE its interface and some extensions and plug-ins that has. Like video Downloader and No Script!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast